Pleasure Piking on Forgotten Stillwaters

Reaction score
Spot on Cat!

That's just what I plan to do after Christmas. I'll be taking my little lad - roving with a lure will keep him active and warm, give him casting practice and hopeflly get him (and me!) a few fish.

Monicccaaaaaaaaa!

Reaction score
Hi Cat,

I see Graham beat me to it on digging out this article /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Nice photos! It was lovely to meet you at the weekend - do give me a shout about your website too...

Moniccccaaaaa x

Y

yoggy

Nice one Shane.Although I still bait-fish I started concentrating on lure fishing about 3 years ago. I do everything from ultralight to heavy jerk.I`ve had some fantastic days out. Learning about the different lures and how they work and how to work them effectively was extremely exciting. Most of myproductive lure sessions come during shorter sessions. Probably this is due to my concentration levels remaining high!!!!./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Nice on Shane. Its something I've been toying with doing for the last 12 months too. Just need to invest in some shads etc. as I've only got small Mepps spinners at the moment, still, its me birthday on wednesday and have requested some lures so ya never know???????;-)

MartynC

Reaction score
Good & fun article, howeverI think 10lb braid (equivalent in thickness to 4lb mono?) is too light. Even for jacks.

IMHO when 20lb braid is still very thin (.20mm? thickness), then that can still be used for light/ultralight lure outfits safely.

Reaction score
Inspirational stuff Shane!

A great article and a beautiful fish... nice one!

(Not a criticism matey but I have to agree withMartyn's point; braid is cr*p at abrasion so I use 30lb Power Pro for my light outfit... Only a personal opinion, I do also believe that the confident/ competent angler is free to take the p*ss in any way he pleases with the so-called 'rules, provided he has fish-safety uppermost in his or her mind /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif).

CRITTER

Reaction score
cat me old assassin,

nice thread mate glad to see you like the old stomping ground of mine and Billy's !

I'm off out around the festive hols so if your up for it give us a bell but one thing ......leave them bloody red devils at home !

ha ha top read kid nice one.

CAT

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind regards people glad you liked it, i understand your concerns regarding the braid lads but i am using a 20lb wire trace and lets be honest you cannot cast a 5gspinner very far on 20/30lb braid.

Iallways have the welfare of the fish foremost in my mind if i was on the Trent piking for instance it would be 60-80lb fireline and i would be using a Jerk bait rod, multiplier full bag of mashings it is snag central, but on these small silty still waters or aclean bottomed gravel pit,there is no need for a toe rope approach.

That 20lb Trace to 10lb Calcutta braid together with my Shimano Beastmaster gives me enough cushion to land a 20lb pike and have good fun playing it, so long as the clutch is set properly i am lot losing a fish due to my main line braking.

Cheers Again,

Cat

W

Wolfman Woody

You got away lightly, Cat.

I was completely castigated When I said in my article "Line strengths 10lb minimum for the nylon and perhaps even 30lb and more for the braid (these are for pike) since this will have about the same diameter as a 10lb line or less." Some suggested 65lbs minimum.

You say though "lets be honest you cannot cast a 5gspinner very far on 20/30lb braid." . Agreed to a point, but I have found that a lot depends on the type of braid and the action of the rod you're using. With 20lbs Sufix Herculine I can whack a 5 grams spinner out around 50 yards easily on just a 6½ foot rod for the perch.

That's about as far as you would want to cast because any further and you don't have any control of the lure anyway. Most of your fishing is probably no further than 30 yards. I also only use 15lbs Drennan Soft Strand Wire for perch fishing <u>just</u> in case a small jack has a go.

However, no recriminations from me, it was a nice article and good start. Keep it up.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Excellent reading.....well done that man!!!

Ever sincetrying lure fishing,i can honestly say it`s fastbecoming my fav form of fishing and although my chubbing gear is sitting in my storage area calling out to me,all i want to do at the moment is grab me bag of lures,my rod and landing net and a flask of tea and go a wandering!!!

I also find buying and looking atlures in shops and on linevery adictive....i`m like a kid in a sweetie shop!!!

Rickrod

Reaction score
nice article imust agree with nick it is adictive buying lures and jigs

Brute1981

Reaction score
Great article.

I've recently got back into Pike fishing after nearly a decade absence and have a new found lovefor this type of fishing. I've caughta fair few Pike over the years on deadbaits but never cast a lure until this year, I don'toftenget thetimeto spend half my weekend sitting on thebank any more so this type offishing is perfect for me.

I've spent a small fortune on my lure collection recently andhadsome success but I'm just having fun wandering and trying different lures/things. Ican leave my house and be on the bank fishing withintwenty minutesand thoroughly cover the small waters I fish in an afternoon or morning session.I drive right pastmy favourite lake to get to work so I'll often take advantage of the Friday lunchtime finish and get an afternoons lure fishing in, somethingI couldn't do with other methods.

N

NATHAN BALL

I've recently started lure fishing after half-heartedly trying for a couple of years with spinners and the change in my results has been incredible. I started on my local canal and so far have had several jack pike as well as a low double. Although the highlight for me so far has been my first ever 2lb perch - caught on a rubber lure!!

Like 'Cat' i've also tried a neglected still water and although it's proving difficult to crack, i've hada few fish in the 5-8lb range.

It's been so much fun I don't know if carp fishing will ever be the same!!