?A Brush with the Avon? by John Searl

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is on my Christmas list and hopefully someone will be sending it to Santa ready for delivery on December 24th.

John is a really lovely chap and his angling exploits are legendary in the Avon valley.

If you ever get the chance to visit his shop then it is a dream of a place with some very interesting angling memorabilia.

T

teecee

Peter-where is the shop,who publishes the book,what is the cost,where can it be bought?

I have to get all the details otherwise the wifewill not make the effort.......!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
teecee,

John's shop, The Art of Angling is in Ringwood right next door to Avon Angling which is at the end of Market Street and then turn left.

While you are there stop in at Avon Angling, the nicest people in fishing and a great source of local information.

G

Gary Knowles

I met John when I had a family holiday near ringwoof about 4 years ago. Really nice bloke.

Although he did end up selling me a lovely painting of a pair of chub he'd done. Hopefully it'll be worth a few quid by now !

Tanis Half Elven

Reaction score
A friend of mine has this book and he thinks it's simply briiliant.And all round good chap that he is,he has bought me a copy for Chritsmas.

Very much looking forward to reading this.....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just received the book as an early Christmas present from the lovely Claudia; who I have had the pleasure of watching as her angling skills have grown during this year, hopefully aided by some experienced advice and the loan of some items of tackle so that she could try it out before parting with her hard earned cash.

Just browsing the photographs and the fabulous drawings from JS is an absolute tonic for me in this week where all the forum discussion has been about yet another flawed attempt to 'unite' us anglers.

Some of the drawings have a decidedly Yates-esque look about them yet in my opinion are better in quality of drawing.

On page 153 is a lovely silhouette of two anglers walking alongside a small stream that, to my mind, simply sums up what our wonderful sport is all about.

I will read this for the first time on the train tonight on my way back to my office in Paris, but I am sure that it will be taken from the bookcase; for both research and further reading of individual chapters for many years to come.

Claudia, thank you so much.