Mitcham

S

Steve King

There two pools "One Island" & "Seven Islands" I haven't fished either since I was in my teens (& that was a while ago!!), One Island had a good stock of tench and roach. At times it was plagued by small pike and in hot weather it was often covered with silk weed and practically unfishable. Seven Islands is pretty shallow, but had some nice carp in it (not that I caught any myself!)A friends brother is reputed to have landed carp to the low 20s back in the mid seventies.

J

John Hawkins

Thanks, I have had a wander around both with little evidence of fishing except for the odd broken float and coils of line. There was some fry on Seven Island and a resident heron.One island still looks very weedy. Local tackle shop here said that some decent tench were coming out of one island, but I've seen no-one fishing and I walk the dog there every other day!!I only wanted to try them as I live locally (within walking distance) and they're free. There's something refreshing about fishing an unknown pool that's not managed and swarming with multirod setups and bivies at 15 pounds a day! I suppose I still dream of days with Mr Crabtree!!!

S

Steve King

When the weather is a little warmer try raking out a swim or two on One Island to rid it of the worst of the weed. Laying on with worm or sweetcorn as per Mr Crabtree used to work!. The best bags of tench often came to the swims just in front of the island. I never thought of One Island or Seven Islands being reminiscent of Mr Crabtree as when I used to fish it all the swims were taken and arriving late meant settling for a really duff swim or going home!

Bill Herbert

Reaction score
Was at one island yesterday, is very weedy all over, pracically unfishable. The water is very clear though and could clearly see some nice tench in the secluded area next to the island as well a decent size carp, weren't interested in our maggots though. there were some local lads who reckon there's carp to 28 (though i'd have to see it to believe it) as well as lots of tench and hundreds of pike. They also told us seven islands was emptied last november, explaining the fact we didn't see any signs of life when we checked it out.
I did manage to hook a pair of nike shorts just as we were leaving! Definately would take a rake if I went back.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Anyone fished the pool on Mitcham Common? "

John,

Not since the mid to late 50's so my experiences might be a little <u>dated</u> for you.

My first proper fish, a small Roach came from the Pond on Tooting Bec Common also in the late 50's - and I've been 'at it' ever since too.