SHORE FISHING.SHOULD I BOTHER?

steveo

Reaction score
Hi

This is the first thread I've posted on the Sea forum,mainly because I've spent my life freshwater fishing for Carp,Cats,Pike etc.

A couple of months ago I ended up living in Bude Cornwall,It looks like I'm gonna be here for a few more months.

I have absolutely no idea how to Sea fish but there are quite a few beaches.I was feeling like having a go at some beach fishing,mainly for the peace and to be close to the winter sea,it would also be nice if I could catch something to eat.

I have Carp rods,big pit reels(which are surf casting reels anyway)etc.So what I would appreciate is any advice on locations,simple method's,correct bait,what I can expect to catch if anything.I have no idea about Tide's,currents,correct times etc.Also are there any area's not to far from me where I can fish all day,when the tide is out it goes out 100's of yards.

Cheers

E

EC

Steve when its on your doorstep sea fishing is a good fix mate, and it's nice to do something different. I can't speak about the venue, but, simple rigs, baits and methods work up and down the country. Best bet is to get to the local shop and find out the best marks and get an idea of hat tackle you need.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Sound advice Eddie C. I would second what he says. I wouldn't spend a fortune on rods etc until I tried the area, but I rather think that there will be much in the way of rock fishing, for which you might use your carp gear for spinning, light legeringetc.

David Craine

Reaction score
Just down the coast from Bude , about 2 miles or so there is a spot called Blackrock beach as I remember..and it looks spot on for Bass, there are also Bass to be had where the river enters the sea quite close to the town Centre, your Carp gear will be just the job for fishing frozen sandeel on a long flowing trace with about 2 oz of lead, letting it pull around with the tide.

Also the Bude Canal where it flows under the road bridge to the sea lock (disused ) is full of Roach and Perch, may hold other species as well, cannot help with the licences though... you will have to enquire locally.

Tite lines.

Dave.

Rickrod

Reaction score
in the bude canalthere is also tench carp eel. mullet is still a good bet

steveo

Reaction score
Thanks lad,s I rekon i'll get sandeels and have a go for the Bass,its got to be better than the Carp fishing round here at the moment.

Also if there are any mullet fisherman out there then I have seen massive Mullet a educated guess would be in the 6-8lb bracket in the river Neet in Bude town center,Its not my cup of tea though to public.

One other thing,the rocks on the beach have Limpits,Winkles etc,are they worth useing as I would think that they would be perfect baits for fishing in the same area or has it got to be sandeel's,worm's?

Thanks

alan

Reaction score
steveo, never fished the area, but yes limpits work, and work well.

wait till a storm has passed, collect loads, and i means loads, deshell, and stick 5-6 on one hook, threading them up. fish alongside the rocks aiming for the 3rd breaker out, bass love them, the storm will have knocked loads lose and they come in to feast. not many beaches where it dosnt work.

check local bylaws before using sandeels, some areas are now classified as bass nurserys, and sandeels is a big no no bait.

worms at distance, limpits in close, thats what i would try to start with.

fish day break, sunset into dark. daylight the fish tend to head to deeper waters.

the tides will depend on your area, if low tide see the beaches dry out, fish high tide only, dont walk out to fish low tide. if the tide cuts you off your buggered, and on those sorts of beaches the tide comes in fast, very fast.

look for man made features, piers, walls, etc the fish hang around them.

go for the mullet, great fun on light gear, make your carp look like faggots.

alan

Reaction score
if you want to keep your catch, check the local minimum landing sizes for each species. up to £1000 fine per fish. defra have been checking the solent regularly and people are getting charged.