Otters on the Swale??

George387

Reaction score
Ive just got back from a very enjoyable roving grayling session on the middle swale but as I was moving from one swim to anotherI came across something that I can only describe looked like a butchers shop.

On the bank there were 4 brown trout carcasses all around the 2 - 3 lbs mark half eaten and a barbel carcass estimated to be around 8 - 10 lbs full of eggs and again like the trout half eaten, a sorry sight indeed thats why I can only imagine it to be an otter with the size of the barbel as I dont think a mink could have taken a fish of that size.

I know we should all enjoy the nature around us but to see such a fine fish full of eggs in the state it was its a shame.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I saw one 2 years ago at cundall

Reaction score
We have a pair on my fishery. Wonderful sight to see them and so much better than Mink. I have only seen them once together and they soon disappeared when they spoted me.

Many years ago I saw one on the river Thame whilst fishing with my father. I will never forget it as I said look at that large rat/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

As for eating fish, well they like us need to eat and thats how it goes.

S

Sean Meeghan

Saw one tonight at Asenby. It was swimming on the surface at dusk and I was down wind of it so it didn't smell me. Not that I smell anyway /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif