your favourite maggot

W

Wendy Perry

Hi all this has had me since i started fishing why are the maggots different colours ?? do they taste different ?? and do you have a fav maggot ???

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Maggots of different colours work for different species at times and a change of colour on the hook often induces a bite on difficult days. I like bronze and reds personally. Red is a good colour for perch for some reason, plus they make a good change bait for roach, especially if you are feeding casters as well as maggots. Plus the smaller maggots like pinkies will often work when standard maggots won't especially with those flourescent 'disco' ones on the hook.

J

John Pleasance

Coloured ones look much prettier in the bait box Wendy.

My favourite maggot was one I used to call Henry.One day though he wriggled right to the bottom of the box and wouldn't talk to me at all,so I stuck him on a size 10.

I'm sorry Wendy I just had to do it. :eek:)

D

Dave Johnson

casters and big whites for barbel, bronze for everything elsr that swims in running water.

R

Ron Clay

I always ask for bronze with some whites and reds mixed in.

M

Mike Parker

Bronze 4 running water
Reds 4 Stillwater
Discos for a good night out!!

S

Shrek

Bronze with added turmeric for running water

Red and White mix for still water

R

Ron Clay

Very interesting choices. Anyone any idea WHY maggots of certain colours work better in certain condiditons?

I once got hold of some green maggots. Absolutely useless they were although it could have been me.

R

Rob Brownfield

Green used to be good for Tench on Hooks Marsh...but only for one season. They then never caught another one!..grrrr..

I believe the original bronze maggots dyed with crysodine dye had a flavour, but i dont know.

I would think red maggots are good in still water due to them looking like bloodworm on steroids! Bronze and white on the river always outfished a white on its own. Maybe bronze maggots look a little like Caddis or some such beastie?

Yellows worked sometimes for the dace, but i would always get half white, half bronze as a standard purchase.

K

Kevan Farmer

When I first started fishing I always went for bronze maggots. This was in the days of chrysodine dye. Then we had the cancer scare over chrysodine. I stopped using bronze and switched over to whites and nothing but whites. Now I've recently gone back to using bronze and I feel that they give me a slight edge. however, this could be the turmeric I add to them so I'm not really 100% sure. Next time I venture out I'll flavour just a few to start with and fish them alternately with unflavoured.

As for other colours? Never bothered, other than green ones which were useless.

Kevan

R

Rob Brownfield

I used to have a wee pink maggot, but then i discovered a special pump from sweden...now my maggot is not so small...hehe!!

I remember seeing black maggots once, and blue if i remember rightly...when they were mixed together it looked like a tub of jelly beans!!

W

Wendy Perry

Rob you can get a tablet to help the little pink maggot....lol

I got a pint of mixed the other day and there was alsorts of colours in there none worked by the way lol

D

David Will

White for Roach , red for everything else.
More out of habit than any firm evidence.

S

Steve May

Coloured maggots,speaking as a matchman my son and I fish open matches every Sat&Sun during the coarse season.Always take 1pt each of mixed maggots,reds yellows whites bronze and discos 1pt in total.
You would be amazed the way fish will respond to different colours ,at certain times.Experimenting is essential!
One final comment greens seem to be getting a tough time,whilst I would agree the other colours outfish them generally,try them in summer when caterpillars are falling from an overhanging bush,deadly.

C

Craig Smith

At this time of year I find putting curry powder on half a pint of whites for hook bait Chub seem to love it, Where the Carp like curry flav reds. Garamasala works well for Perch. I always find flavoring them the night before works best.

R

Robert Draper

You can't beat one red one white on a size 20-22 for perch up to the 2.5lb mark. I generally find that white are the best colour for roach and skimmers, red for perch (and jacks) and bronze/yellows for carp, bream and tench.