SALMON OR SEA TROUT

nicky

Reaction score
I caught a fish today quite unexpectedly whilst fishing for chub i was using a bit of sausage and bread on the hook. I think it was either a salmon or sea trout around 2 foot in length and gave a very good account of itself specially good from a small clear river. The only discernible features i made a note of was that it had a concave tail and a narrow wrist which made it easy to pick up by the tail it was also very long and lean.

Sorry for my ignorance but do salmon or sea trout run this time of year we had some good floods just before this cold snap i presumbe if they do it came up river then

J

John McLaren

Nicky sounds like a salmon. You don't say which river but there are plenty of salmon and sea trout in many rivers around this time of year - like you I'm no expert though.

steveo

Reaction score
I caught the odd Salmonoid on paste whilst Barble fishing in the Bristol Avon.They were Silver with Back spots and the occasional Red spot,very pretty fish.I took a couple of snaps of one and returned it.I popped into the local game fishing shop and was told that it was an out of season Sea Trout and that there were actually quite a few in the river.So there you go,you never know what youre gonna catch next

If what you caught was 2 foot long then it would of been a big Sea Trout tho.

M

MarkTheSpark

The diff is that you can't pick a sea-trout up by the tail wrist, because the tail root is not wide enough. So sounds like a little grilse.