Do you have your own Wormery

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Which of you have your own Wormeries and just how successful are they?

I have often thought about starting my own Wormery, however, what has put me off making one is that they seem a little complicated to get started and to get right.

Am i misleading myself, or, is there more to it than some would have you believe?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I don't have a traditional garden (No Lawn) my Garden is Flagged over and we use a lot of Pots for Plants and a couple of Planters.

The Frost killed them all, did you not start it back up again after?

I would have thought that the heat from the Compost would have stopped the worms from dying?

See, i knew there was more to it than a handful of worms and some Mud.

little oik

Reaction score
I just use the compost heap
I top it up with a few worms now and again and haven't lost any yet to the cold weather (-18 winter before last ).One of the biggest problems is Liquid .Unless you put a tap at the bottom to drain off the liquid they can drown .Most wormeries now have that facility but if you are going to make one then do not forget.Also the liquid is good for the garden plants as well .

A

alan whittington

I wish i had a source of lobs,trouble is i dont need them that often,i'd like a few to trot for perch in the autumn and winter,another dry year like last winter i'll have to send out to Aussie for them.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
Compost bin. Topped up with household peelings, teabags, cuttings... built up a foot or so of that then added a bucket full of wormy compost from a friend.

Many councils give compost bins to residents these days, or sell them really cheap.

waggy

Reaction score
Got my 80 litre composter from the council environmental dept. Got the peelings, old bread, porridge, other food waste, lawn cuttings (only an inch at a time), old kitchen roll scraps, weedings, kitchen salad and veg waste, piled a foot deep and then added a few dendrobaena from a friend. Kept adding scraps as and when. It took off like a rocket and I can get 100 worms every week. When the size goes down is the time to ease off a bit until they grow and breed, usually about 2-3 weeks if I've hammered them.
I use them on a 14 barbless secured with a red maggot and catch some good stuff. Had a couple of tench - 5 and 6 1/2lb on Tuesday with them. Had 9 carp to 22lb during the March warm spell with the same set up to float with 8lb line and size 13s to 6lb bottoms on the old parabolic rod, played carefully.
Keep them in sphagnum moss gathered from any grassy area and any you don't use can be put back to grow on or fridged for use within 2-3 weeks but moistened weekly.
Composter needs to be mucked out biennially from the door at the bottom and grows, in my case, some lovely courgettes.
Get the biggest composter you can find; it's a good investment.

mick b

Reaction score
Yes made my own 3 years ago from wooden decking, 90degree brackets and screws all from B&Q and 2 plastic 3ftx3ft trays from the local garden centre.
My initial 'stocking' was 1/2kg of mixed size Dendros.
I feed it with old egg boxes, newspapers, corrugated cardboard, waste veg&fruit bits, wetted bread, grass mowings, fallen leaves, ex-tomato composte etc etc etc.
During the winter I cover the top of the 'food' with two layers of bubble poly and the wooden lid with an old (WW2) army blanket.
It stands on some slabs and is backed-up against the north side my garden shed.
I empty it each spring and remove about 3 barrowloads of 'worm worked' material from the bottom which is usually clear of worms.

My problem is that I never have one larger than 3inches long and the garden is chock-a-block with the escapees.

Never use 'em for hookbait tho......they have now become my pets, I even talk to them:eek:mg: !!!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just a thought and maybe an obvious one but, you may have not thought of it. Any old bits of waste ground near you? I used to have one and used to go there and dig 20 or so worms in less than an hour the day before I went fishing. Big 6/9 inch lobs lake sausages; orange ones. Also used to fish a lake and found a overhanging bush on bank which was always damp. It was clay but full of small pale worms. 15 min with a bank stick and had loads of worms. There might be something near you!

hugo curgudgeon

Reaction score
Got my 80 litre composter from the council environmental dept. Got the peelings, old bread, porridge, other food waste, lawn cuttings (only an inch at a time), old kitchen roll scraps, weedings, kitchen salad and veg waste, piled a foot deep and then added a few dendrobaena from a friend. Kept adding scraps as and when. It took off like a rocket and I can get 100 worms every week. When the size goes down is the time to ease off a bit until they grow and breed, usually about 2-3 weeks if I've hammered them.
I use them on a 14 barbless secured with a red maggot and catch some good stuff. Had a couple of tench - 5 and 6 1/2lb on Tuesday with them. Had 9 carp to 22lb during the March warm spell with the same set up to float with 8lb line and size 13s to 6lb bottoms on the old parabolic rod, played carefully.
Keep them in sphagnum moss gathered from any grassy area and any you don't use can be put back to grow on or fridged for use within 2-3 weeks but moistened weekly.
Composter needs to be mucked out biennially from the door at the bottom and grows, in my case, some lovely courgettes.
Get the biggest composter you can find; it's a good investment.

Agreed entirely. We have two which take most of our waste and provide a limitless supply of worms. Wonderful compost. I do have to buy lobs tho as our lawn just does not seem to have any.

As ever

Hugo

waggy

Reaction score
Have my own lawns now, Hugo, but years ago used to go out onto any council mowed areas after 10pm with a small torch, trainers and a small tub at least 6ins deep. Used them for eel blobbing (as it's known in darkest Lincs), 36 threaded to wool and skeined into a head to tail ball like a huge sausage link.
They keep for about a month in sphagnum moss in the fridge without deterioration but after that go a bit flaccid, so I put them into the garden to recover.
10 o'clock's way past my bo-bo time nowadays so if you were to pass my place at night and spot a ghostly apparition in pyjamas and a head torch floating across the lawn, do not be afrit.

watatoad

Reaction score
Yes I live in a village in the country so its pretty easy we have 3 compost bins, a large lawn and a couple of areas of damp ground which I use, I also have 2 heaps of slowly rotting wood where I can acquire a lot of insects for fishing, a section of 'wild' garden which helps and a large pond. I also use an area for maggot production at the side of my wife's greenhouse.