Typical Angling Forum.

Ado Rus

Reaction score
What is a typical angling forum? Where freedom of speech is banned and help is not allowed! And this website is no different. I asked this morning for some feedback from local Manchester anglers. I asked for this feedback because I am trying to improve the sport in the deprived areas.To no surprise the postwas deleted by the moderators very quickly. No questions asked, no emails sent – just pure control of speech.

The funny thing is I also run a very large fishing community website and could not imagine doing something like that. I run it not for money but purely as a hobby because I enjoy fishing so much. But not once have I as a moderator deleted a thread because someone asked for help.

First post I made last night ‘Was straight away attacked by another member’ – he suggested that I tired to collect emails to send them special offers.

I asked myself! REALLY? What on top of my 10,000+ emails I already have? I might just get another ten and I will be rich.. But then the real world hit and I thought no I am hear to help.

JUST SOMETIMES TRY AND HELP THIS SPORT AND PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO HELP IT! NOT PUT THEM DOWN! I am sure this will get deleted.Anyway, thanks to few of you who emailed me and provided me with your feedback… Don’t worry I will not send you any £5.999 special offers.

alan

Reaction score
could it be your comment on another thread?

Please email me at(email address)and I will reply with a set of questions which should only take you few minutes to complete. In return you will help me research the market and help improve angling in Manchester.

which to me sounds like you are carrying out market research of some sort with out saying why, or for what. that your email address is for a tackle shop will lead people to belive you are looking for customers.

not saying you are, not saying you will. just step back, reread your posts looking at it from my point of few and you will see what i mean.

captain carrott

Reaction score
there's a difference between freedom of speach and making up some cover story so that you can filch peoples personal details and sell them on because you work for a marketing company.

you see i exercised my freedom of speech in suggesting it, and the mods obviously came to the same conclusion as me, so they deleted your original post.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Ado, you may very well be as genuine in your endeavours as you say, but your approach to it could have been so much better. But you don't need me to tell you that as the reaction so far speaks for itself.

There is so much scamming and spamming going on via emails and forums you can't blame people, moderators or not, for being suspicious.

If you had contacted me privately about what you're doing, and explained it to me to my satisfaction, I'm sure we could have helped.

What doesn't help you in the slightest is the fact that your profile details are blank. When this was pointed out to you yesterday you said you hadn't had time to fill them in.

They're still blank, and yet you've had time to make several posts on this forum, including the one above this morning.

If there was no freedom of speech your sarcasticpost above would indeed have been deleted. As it is, it serves to warn others that it isn't always what you do, but how you do it.

Ado Rus

Reaction score
Very interesting way of thinking, I must say. Is angling really something that Marketing companies would be interested in? It’s a very niche sport and not very popular with entrepreneurs unlike other sports such as football, golf, basketball, skateboarding etc. Why is that you might ask yourself? Well, having gone through 4 years of my life looking, researching, and talking to other anglers I now know why.And here is a perfect example! Instead of giving someone a chance we attack one other. Why not email me and ask about the projects I am working on? If you look at my other thread and compare it to other spam threads. You must just notice that they don’t have anything similar. For one I am not advertising, secondly I am answering to member’s replies.

If I am so in the wrong to do this. Why didn’t moderators ban me or send me a warning? Maybe refer me to terms and conditions where is says you are not allowed to ask for feedback?

How come another member can refer you to an angling club? How do you know that angling club is real and not just a big marketing master plan? How do you know this website does not want to take you details and email you their advertisers special offers?

J K

Reaction score
...and you still haven't filled in your profile!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Phil Hackett didn't attack you, he explained why your post was suspicious. Just as the other posts above have done the same thing.

We don't know you, You've never posted before until you've wanted something. And you still haven't filled in your profile.

And yet you still can't seethe bigger picture.

F

Frothey

Is angling really something that Marketing companies would be interested in?

You're sooo right. I mean, no marketting company is evergoing to be the slightest bit interested in the largest participation sport in the uk (and us, and most of the world actually).....

All it would have taken is an email to graham to ask if it was ok - wheres the harm in that?

and your profiles still blank......

Deanos

Reaction score
Ado,

In the couple of years that I have been posting on FM, complaints about freedom of speech have been very few and far between.

Why not converse a little with Graham over your aims and objectives, he has a wise old head, and anything that is positive and attached to the World of angling invariably gets his support.

Good luck in all you do.

C

Cakey

bit of difference between this and manchester........
Gradacac.jpg

Ado Rus

Reaction score
LOL... It gets better. Please check my profile again and you will find that I have completed most of it now. However, I really don't see what difference this will make. Most of the questions on there are to target you with marketing from advertisers i.e. how much do you spend online on fishing tackle, how often do you buy it etc. But without these methods this site would not be around. They have to find funding from somewhere i.e. tackle traders. Without them, there would be no angling magazines, websites, commercials etc.

You say you don’t know me? That is totally true! However, do I know you? Should, I know someone on Internet just because they have your profile completed? I mean, it’s that trustworthy information? If I really wanted to get email addresses what makes you think I would not tell the whole truth in the profile?

My reaction to this is not of offensive nature because, I have seen it all before on other forums and my own fishing community site. Anglers like to put each other down. Few days I ago I was on a different forum. Didn’t take part, but just reading. When I cam across a thread on Debdale Lake in Manchester. There was a lad on there who offered his advice and help to fellow angler. However, his spelling nor grammar where great. So, what! I could understand it so could majority of others. But no!! They had to attack him because of this and insult him.. Is that a nice way to encourage youth to take part?

Regarding asking before posting, well, I didn’t see anything wrong with my posts. I know that posting links to other sites is not welcome, and I don’t allow it on my site unless if very useful information. I don’t stop people posting email addresses if they are asking for help. I will also follow their posts to ensure there is nothing-fishy going on. Majority of the time it’s all good.

Yes, we have a perception that angling is the most participated sport in the world. That might be correct however, angling is still not on the top agenda of most investors. How come JJB sells golf clubs, footballs, boots, skies but not fishing tackle? Why does Argos have a bigger selection of Golfs clubs then fishing tackle? Why does Blacks have outdoor clothing but no fishing tackle?

Angling is very hard to measure therefore; statistical information can be very misleading. For one we don’t have figures on how many sea anglers we have in the UK as well as how many anglers who fish without permits etc. I could go on.

C

Cakey

you only fish 4 times a year ?

or do you go for 2 months at a time ?

Ado Rus

Reaction score
Yes Cakey, yes very much different. Actually that pictures is good few years after the war. That castle stood up to 1000+ bombs during the early 90s now a major focus of the town. Gradacac has 2 lakes which to this date have produced some excellent carp, pike and especially catfish. The difference between Manchester and Gradacac is that it’s about the size of Gorton.

Yes, I don't get out fishing very often becuase I am to busy with work. I spend so much time on the other side of angling so, it's as good as fishing for me.

Ado Rus

Reaction score
No, I am not a guide but working on trying to make Angling have an impact on certain areas within Manchester. I have passion for the sport, and believe with the right team behind me we can help put angling on the map once again.