Rules on helping the boy during a match?

bruce1980

Reaction score
It's finally here! My annual holiday! No, not Majorca, not Benidorm, not even Teneriffe but Newquey for a week in a caravan at WHITEACRES! :)

The boy's coming and he's eager to fish his first match (as am I!) but as much as i've tried, he has no interest in setting up the gear! Problem now is he doesn't even know how to change a pole rig! It's odds on he'll snap one during a match and I'm not sure on where we stand on me helping change it if he does!?

Anyone got any ideas about the rules on this?

Cheers peeps!

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Rules change and vary on different venues, the best thing you can do is get in touch with Whiteacres and ask them on their rules with regards to your concern.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
As Steph says, everywhere is different, but I can't see that helping the kid to set up and change rigs would break any rules. So long as he hooks and lands the fish himself, might even be okay for you to net it for him and help unhook it (safety for the fish!) and put it in the net. Check with the site.

watatoad

Reaction score
If your lad wants to fish matches he better learn how to set up and fish or just give up on the idea of match fishing. You should know better yourself and teach him to set up as setting up is a major part of angling any moron can just pull fish out of the water perhaps you should let him fish on a fairground stall instead of on the real water.

bruce1980

Reaction score
Maybe I was a bit hasty in doubting him! I told him last night if he wanted to fish a match this week he had to show me he could change a pole rig.... and he did!

Maybe he has been listening/watching after all! ;)

dangermouse

Reaction score
lol never underestimate the laziness of kids, why should he bother messing about with that fiddly stuff when good ol` dad will do it for him :D

bruce1980

Reaction score
Spot on there Dangermouse! :rolleyes:

We're both after an 8lb fish! Our new years resolution was to catch a fish as big as his baby bro was when he was born a few months ago (7lb 15oz)!

Got 4lb line on the spools at the moment so recon that should be heavy enough to land an 8lb-er!?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Maybe I was a bit hasty in doubting him! I told him last night if he wanted to fish a match this week he had to show me he could change a pole rig.... and he did!

Maybe he has been listening/watching after all! ;)

yes i've got 2 kids like that - "Dad can you......." when they are able to do it for themselves:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't think any of the match paticipants would have any problem with you helping your son unless it was interfering with their peg. Yes 4lb line will be fine, good luck....

Mr Watatoad, I think an apology is in order.

bruce1980

Reaction score
Toad - You refering to the boy as a moron? Wind yer ****** neck in you cockney prick! A mouth like that is very likely to get you knocked the **** out!

Every forum has to have a token bell end dunt it!