Trent at Stone - Pike

Richie S

Reaction score
Hi All

Has anyone ever caught any pike in the river Trent at Stone, Staffordshire? I've read on this forum about a free stretch around the canoe club areaand the meadows and wondered if any pike are in the stretch. I'm not bothered about what size the pike are in there, jacks will provide good sport if anything.What methods would anyone recommend? Failing that I'lltry the Sow atStafford, as I've read reports on these forums thatpike are found in there.

Also, just in general what fish are found in the Trent at Stone, having not fished it before....I'd like to try for the pike first and then see what else is in there......

Looking foward to your replies....

Richie S

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Not sure about the pike Richies, but from talking to Tony Keeling who does the where to fish section in AM, theres chub, roach, perch and some dace there. Cant remember if theres any barbel in that area but there are definitely some in the Sow. I'd assume there would be some pike in those areas but not 100% sure. Have you tried enquiring in local tackle shops matey? They might be able to put you onto some.

J

John Howard

Not sure if theres any pike there, but cant see any reason why not. I,ve heard stories of pike higher up near the Trentham lake overflow. Supposedly fish washed over?

The EA run regular water quality checks at Stone as well as checks on fish stocks. This section has been stocked with chub and barbel. Small chub and barbel are the catch norm. Again stories tell of large fish smashing anglers tackle supposedly large barbel.

Its a popular stretch being free, and the fishing can be hard. Lots of dog walkers and kids particularly as schools finish for the day. The slalom course is used a lot by canoes.

Richie S

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll hopefully find time to wet a line soon and give it a go. There's something about small rivers thatI get drawn to and when roving about and finding the deeper runs and fishy looking bends it makes it all worth while. Hopefully those deeper runs hold a pike or two!