Orvis T3 9ft 9wr for pike?

John Wood 2

Reaction score
I've bought myself an Orvis 909 4piece 9ft 9wt rod, tip flex version, originally for saltwater fly fishing. Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for pike on the fly?

Also, I have 8 weight and 10 weight lines already. Before I rush out and buy new 9wt lines, will the rod handle a 10 or 8 weight, or should I buy 9 weight?

Can anyone recommend good 9 weight lines for pike? <!-- google_ad_section_end --><!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_796708--><!-- THE POST -->

S

Shrek

I don't know the rod itself, but #9 rods are excellent tools for pike on the fly.

My guess is that it will handle all #8 lines, but they might be too light to load the rod whereas you'd have to be careful with a #10 as you might en up overloading the rod and breaking it.

If I were you I'd buy a #9 floating line and then get various sinking tips for it (Airflo are good for this) and turn it into a versatile tool.

As for make, There's a guy selling a #9 line here:

Fly Forums

Greys lines are very good (I have a #5 floating line that I use for river work and it's excellent) so, IMHO, it would be a good purchase if it's still available.

Hope this helps,

Tight lines

M

MarkTheSpark

I wouldn't buy any more lines. In my exerience, a rod rated, say, 6 will be excellent for casting a 7 at short range and a 5 at more extreme range, so you should be able to manage with your 10 and 8.

I have never heard of a heavier line breaking a rod - if that happened, you'd have some concerns about its ability to handle a big fish, or any fish for that matter.

And you've got the perfect rod for piking. I hope Colin Brett comes on and chips in - he's a real pike fly fishing expert.