why you should support your local tackle shop

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
ok so no one in Sheffield stocked the Shaksepeare reel I wanted but I did order a stradic 3000 from my local shop - took 2 months to come but I didn't pay any deposit 9wasn't asked to) - picked it up today and a couple of sppols of Preston Max to spool up and hte owner charged me for the reel and one sppol of line - the other i got for ordering from them

I could have gone to one of the bigger shop and got one straight away but to me it's important to keep the smaller places going

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok so no one in Sheffield stocked the Shaksepeare reel I wanted but I did order a stradic 3000 from my local shop - took 2 months to come but I didn't pay any deposit 9wasn't asked to) - picked it up today and a couple of sppols of Preston Max to spool up and hte owner charged me for the reel and one sppol of line - the other i got for ordering from them

I could have gone to one of the bigger shop and got one straight away but to me it's important to keep the smaller places going

You could have got one straight away from Billy Clarkes and he is still a ''local'' shop as he is based in your town!

tommyruff

Reaction score
how can u buy from a person u no is ripping u off---price wise---all they say is they av high rates an rent---i can get anything i want for half price or less brand new----from a tackle dealer-----so why get robbed---money is money

chav professor

Reaction score
I am very lucky - we have the very excellent 'Break-away' tackle of much fame and acclaim due to the one time partner Nigel forrest (RIP) designing the break out sea fishing lead plus countless other ingenious devices that revolutionized the sport of sea fishing.....

They are very competitive, stock a good selection given the floor size. I buy everything from break-away.... my loyalty has been re-payed over and over again....

If you don't buy stuff from your tackle shop, they will fold..... is it fair to spend hundreds on mail order and pennies and pence on bait....

won't be long before you have to buy bait mail order in some areas.

Bit of banter, advise, tactile experience of holding the objects, someone happy to come out and take a photo of a fish of a lifetime and keep its location confidential..... priceless......

terry m

Reaction score
Completely agree Chav Prof.

When the local shops fold coz everyone buys from the web, think about howhe loss of the convenience and advice will affect you.!!

watatoad

Reaction score
I am very lucky - we have the very excellent 'Break-away' tackle of much fame and acclaim due to the one time partner Nigel forrest (RIP) designing the break out sea fishing lead plus countless other ingenious devices that revolutionized the sport of sea fishing.....

They are very competitive, stock a good selection given the floor size. I buy everything from break-away.... my loyalty has been re-payed over and over again....

If you don't buy stuff from your tackle shop, they will fold..... is it fair to spend hundreds on mail order and pennies and pence on bait....

Bit of banter, advise, tactile experience of holding the objects, someone happy to come out and take a photo of a fish of a lifetime and keep its location confidential..... priceless......

Good shop I was in there last year picking up a few floats and looking around, I remember Nigel well, but do not know the people running it at the moment as I have been travelling in a different direction for a lot of my fishing although I considering the Gipping for the coming season as I have heard about some attractive sounding fish having been seen. Birds have been advertising in my local paper which may be of interest to you and any associates or mates, I have a 33 mile round trip to breakaway tackle to give you an idea.

Last edited:

freebird7

Reaction score
Completely agree Chav Prof.

When the local shops fold coz everyone buys from the web, think about howhe loss of the convenience and advice will affect you.!!

Devils advocat time:
Brilliant advice can be attained online from website or better yet other anglers in forums such as this. Bait and tackle would remain in stock at the on site tackle stores found on commercial waters....Whats the difference betweeen driving to your local shop and driving to your local water. Given the decline of tackle shops I would guess minimal for most people.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
freebird7 said:
Devils advocat time:
Brilliant advice can be attained online from website or better yet other anglers in forums such as this. Bait and tackle would remain in stock at the on site tackle stores found on commercial waters....Whats the difference betweeen driving to your local shop and driving to your local water. Given the decline of tackle shops I would guess minimal for most people.

Indeed. The market hates a vacume. If there is demand for hooks and bait, a small shop will stock hooks and bait, be it a new shop or corner of a pet shop or something. Failing that, as stated above, a commercial will open up an outlet. Heck, I've had a bloke with a bag of hooks etc acost me on the bank where I was already using, surprisingly, a hook and a float !

freebird7

Reaction score
Indeed. Heck, I've had a bloke with a bag of hooks etc acost me on the bank where I was already using, surprisingly, a hook and a float !

Sounds a bit shady, are you sure it was floats and hooks he was peddling ;)
There are two commercial waters within 5 miles with tackleshops on site.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I tend to stick with one shop (Clarkes) as he (they) have always looked after me and even though he might only knock me a fiver off a £200 rod it adds up to quite a big saving over the years I have used the shop. some folk seem to think that they should get discounts everytime they use their local shop but these little shops have to make a living and pay bills, and people should stop being so selfish by expecting ow't for now't!