Butler's Hill Fishery - Great Rollright, Oxon

maceo

Reaction score
Tried out this fishery for the first time on Friday.

It's in a very rural location and consists of three small lakes - about an acre each. There are only around 15 or 20 pegs on each lake, some platforms and others on grass/mud.

It's a pretty fishery and very quiet and peaceful. Apparently the lakes used to be the irrigation for a fruit farm. It's run by a very amiable chap and his daughter. The gate is opened at 7am, but when I mentioned in an e-mail that I like to fish very early in the day, they offered to open up at 6:30 specially! Excellent service.

I fished the far end of the "far lake". Despite all the recent rain it was only about 4ft deep in the middle. The water was nicely coloured.

I caught solidly all day. Plenty of common carp and a couple of mirror carp from around 1lb-3lb fishing the waggler with corn and later maggot and feeding hemp. Must have caught about 20 in all. Also plenty of skimmer roach from 6oz down....Still no luck with a tench though despite my best efforts.

Lake fishing doesn't really do it for me. Always in the back of my mind is that they're not wild fish like from the river that have probably never been caught before. Someone's bought them and put them in there for me to catch. For that reason I don't think I'll ever have a session on a lake to compare with the excitement and satisfaction of river fishing.

Not withstanding that, this fishery is the best I've found locally so far. It's quiet, picturesque and natural. There were no bivvies or shirtless can swillers chucking massive depth charges in. Much, much more pleasant than Richworth Linear at Standlake where I went last time.

I'll probably go back again during the close season to have another go after catching my first ever tench.

I'd humbly recommend it to readers.

Fisheries.co.uk - Butlers Hill Fishery, Great Rollright, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not overly into commercial fisheries, other than for a few matches in general, but what a terrfic name for the location: Great Rollright . . . . . . .

alchemist

Reaction score
This is just a couple of miles from me and I've never tried it, not being a commercial lake fan, but maybe I'll give it a go.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Tried out this fishery for the first time on Friday.

It's in a very rural location and consists of three small lakes - about an acre each. There are only around 15 or 20 pegs on each lake, some platforms and others on grass/mud.

It's a pretty fishery and very quiet and peaceful. Apparently the lakes used to be the irrigation for a fruit farm. It's run by a very amiable chap and his daughter. The gate is opened at 7am, but when I mentioned in an e-mail that I like to fish very early in the day, they offered to open up at 6:30 specially! Excellent service.

I fished the far end of the "far lake". Despite all the recent rain it was only about 4ft deep in the middle. The water was nicely coloured.

I caught solidly all day. Plenty of common carp and a couple of mirror carp from around 1lb-3lb fishing the waggler with corn and later maggot and feeding hemp. Must have caught about 20 in all. Also plenty of skimmer roach from 6oz down....Still no luck with a tench though despite my best efforts.

Lake fishing doesn't really do it for me. Always in the back of my mind is that they're not wild fish like from the river that have probably never been caught before. Someone's bought them and put them in there for me to catch. For that reason I don't think I'll ever have a session on a lake to compare with the excitement and satisfaction of river fishing.

Not withstanding that, this fishery is the best I've found locally so far. It's quiet, picturesque and natural. There were no bivvies or shirtless can swillers chucking massive depth charges in. Much, much more pleasant than Richworth Linear at Standlake where I went last time.

I'll probably go back again during the close season to have another go after catching my first ever tench.

I'd humbly recommend it to readers.

Fisheries.co.uk - Butlers Hill Fishery, Great Rollright, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Maceo, have you ever fished Thenford Lake? (I found out about it from a fish'in with another group) - it's over in your direction and, although a day ticket water, it must be pre-booked to a maximum of seven anglers. A beautiful setting and as far removed from the 'commercial' you could get. Loads of info on the link below.
Jerry
Fisheries.co.uk - Thenford Fishing, Thenford, near Banbury, Oxfordshire

maceo

Reaction score
No Peter - you don't have to drive down the side of a field. It's a turn off a small lane and then along a track to the car park. There's some steps up from there to the three lakes.

Thanks for the info on Thenford Jerry. Might give that a shot some time.