Winter canal session

Andyw

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing an overnighter on the GU canal on Sunday night.

I wondered if anyone could offer any advice?

Is it worth prebaiting?

I'm going to target perch on the float and put a 2nd rod out with perhaps a paste wrapped boilie or pellet?

Thanks

Andy

wayne brooks

Reaction score
dunno wether i'd bother pre baiting this time of year.......but we have had some mild weather!........????

try different methods each time you go mate it's the only way to find out. some areas fish different ways than others. i know what it's like though andy as im thinking about a small pre baiting campaign starting soon as it's not really been that cold.

only thing is if the fish are only feeding rarely and a small amount you want them to pick your bait and not a freebie, i'd use your method and throw in a few boilie sized balls of your chosen paste. hopefully this will disolve and only leave your hookbait in all that attractant. (belechan would be my weapon of choice this time of year)

good luck mate and let us know how it went

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Hi Andy, surely mate there are better venues to do a night session on in your area than the canal.

I could easily be talking out of my best feature here as Ive never fished the G.U but I do love to fish canals and have had some good night sessions on certain ones but generaly its not the sort of venue at this time of year I would choose personaly for a nighter.

Reference perch Andy. In all the time Ive fished at night I cant remember ever catching a perch after dark let alone having a good session on them but thats just me personaly. Someone else may well say differently.

Winter time night sessions for me are generaly about quality roach and casters.

I wouldnt bother prebaiting and if you are going to go for the perch. I would be more inclined to go with chopped worm and caster just over the near shelf into the boat track or possibly a small gudgeon around the same area.

S

Stevie 12345

Before you go im not sure I see the necessity to fish a night session on a canal in the middle of winter.

I would be looking to fish the at the warmest part of the day which is usually around 3-4 o'clock in the afternoon. I would have a lie in, get there about 10.30/ 11.00 and fish till dark. I do a lot of winter fishing and have always found these hours the best.

Bring some chopped worms and caster with you, as the other threads suggest, cup a medium large pot in around the near shelf and alternate between redworm and lobworm for them big billys.

Can't really advise on the far shelf as I dont know the GU too well, but if the far shelf is reachable then I would be fishing caster and hemp and maybe a separate punch bread line.

If I didnt have a pole and wanted to fish the rod I would put a smelt out and have a go for the pike.

Good luck

Andyw

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

The main reason for night fishing the canal is that myself and my mate don't have transport and its only a 2 minute walk from the house, also a night is the only free time that fits our commitments...

I've caught a few quality perch at night a couple of years ago, can't for the life of me think what I used tho... I'm gonna take a selection of baits and have a good ole change about.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
As long as you enjoy it mate then thats all that matters. I still think you would get a lot more action on the caster for the silvers though.

Whatever tight lines to you and your mate and have a good un.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
If you use worm or meat you will almost certainly be plagued by eels, well I was on my old local canal, particularly at night.

Having said that worm proved to be my succesful bait on that venue by a long way.

Maybe float fished off the bottom would help avoid theeels unless of course you don't mind constantly changing your slimy hooklengths, yeuch...

Andyw

Reaction score
Hi all,

Went ok had a good time, bivvy was fantastic.... Only had 5 roach out the size of yr finger!!!

Not bothered in the slightest cos it was great to get out on the bank again, seems like ages sinces i've been.... Not sure I'll brave the plummeting temperatures that are forecast.

I love this fishing lark!!!

wayne brooks

Reaction score
good man!

i haven't had chance to get out yet /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Andyw

Reaction score
I went with maggot, switching to the odd bit of corn... both over a dark roach groudbait and a sprinkling of hemp....

My other rod I just slung out a white choc boilie with some halibut past wrapped round the lead... the odd bleep on the alarm but like I said was good to get out so not worried!!