Help Needed for new water

Sapper 069

Reaction score
Where to start ? Firstly on my first 3 Carp Fishing Trips , all on the same water, I did really well , ending up with a PB Common of 23lb 5ozs. However the water closed until Feb 08.

I decided that I would take my grandson fishing with me on a water that was new to me. When we arrived , we were the only ones there and had the chose of the Lake (size of a large football pitch). SoI set up as I have done on my previous 3 trips , 2 rods both with Pineapple bollies and a small bag of pineapple pellets, fishing just off the reed beds (20 foot out).

When the baliff turned up (nice bloke) he informed me it was a pellet water (bollies were not used) and during the warmer months they have 3 or 4 matches a year, the record for a 5 hour match was 172LB. He also informed meI was fishing in about 25 foot of water , as the sides were cut at 45 degree angles (all clay), with the bottom being over 65 feet deep. The main use for the water is to water afarmers field during the hot weather (this lake was in turn fed by a smaller pond which has an underwater spring feeding that). The biggest carp caught is 34 LB, but the target fish are 5 to 10 Lbs

PANIC STRUCK IN , and here are my questions.

1. Like a pratt I didnt plumb the depth , but if I did is there a depth to start ie 10 feet.

2. Should I now fish this venue as any other (carp rigs etc) or as match tackle.

3. Luckly I had taken along same of the new Sonubait halibut Pellets and Casters (free from Total Carp) however when I drilled the 11mm pellets they either broke or the bait stop fell out, how do I attach them onto a hook.

4. Do you turn up like a tackle shop, on a new water (not knowing what to use) or just stick with what you have done before.

My grandson andI caught 4 carp on Sonu Casters, had a good day , and I have now made it my new years resolution to beat this water , enter one of the matches and win ?

Have you guys got any ideas how you would tackle my NICE PROBLEM !!!!!

K

keith buckley

An easy way of attaching drilled pellets is to tie a bait band to the hair and then pull the band through the pellet. When you are drilling your pellets,/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif heating the drill with a lighter helps to prevent the pellets from breaking. Mind you don't burn your fingers though.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Hi Sapper.

First off get yourself a marker float set up.

Go onto the <u>RIGS Page</u> and find the Quick Change Banded Pellet Rig at the top of the page. Sounds like you are in for some fun. Keep an open mind about tactics. Fish/visit the water as much as possible, and gather the information you will pick up each time you go.

brewery boy

Reaction score
Sapper like you said (prat did'nt plumb up).... Unless floater fishin ALLWAYS PLUMB!

If i was doing it Id... Find out all the depths of all the pegs i fancied (east and north banks), around5' to 8' would be my chosen depth! even if its in the margin!.

Then try what your confident in on one rod and test different methods with the other..

Try a small Fox/Korum method feeder rigged with a pellet, corn or maggot

Dont forget to keep an eye on the local's..........

Hope you bag-up mate................................BB

Sapper 069

Reaction score
Nice one lads,

Baz found it, that simple, cheers (keith I will leave the lighter at home ouch??)

BB. I know the most important thing I must learn is , doing homework and studying the water to be fished. Im off out again tomorrow for two reasons, one is to try the two different methods at the same time , and also to watch the locals. Cheers