What Is A Skyliner?

M

Matthew White

I have heard more and more about theses since joining the site a couple of months ago, but have no idea what they are.
What is a skyliner?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Matthew,
A skyliner is someone who stands behind you when you are fishing and casts a shaddow across your swim probably spooking the fish you are after.

C

Chris Bishop

Large aircraft full of sun readers on their way to Torremolinos.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Chris,
Depending on how rich they are they could even be Headliners. ;o}~

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

A relative of Osama bin Liner .......

C

Chris Bishop

I just love that picture. Wouldn't get on a plane full of Sun readers with that hat on though.

Ere Dad look - there's Rolf 'Arris over there.

R

Ron Clay

Another way of scaring fish, especially in a small clear river is to wear bright or light coloured clothing. Against a dark green backdrop of trees, you show up very easily - spooking the fish.

All anglers should wear dull drab, even camo cloths. These new "real tree" caomos reall look the business.

J

John McLaren

Problem there though, Ron, is the dogs that come and cock their legs on the new "tree":)

C

Cakey

I fish a park lake on the edge of a golf course where they have to wear red jumpers and its a well know fact locally that the carp dont feed unless the jumpers are about !!!

D

Dave Johnson

Mathew, its all about watercraft. Fish can make out movement above the water line and especially figures on top of the bank against the sky-hence Rons 'skyliner' term.
Dont think cos you cant see fish in murky water then they also cant see you. keeping low and movement to a minimum is something to practice. I am not so sure on the bright clothes issue as who knows how fish see things, but I always go for green/camouflage clothes-its all about confidence.

R

Ron Clay

There is also aesthetics. I don't understand how people can inflict bright colours on the English countryside.

The worst are those guys who go around in tee shirts with ruddy great snakes painted on the front - LOL

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Nothing more natural than a snake in the grass Ron. On the tee-shirt that is, not me!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Mike, that's a really enlightening, well thought out and humorous remark.