2007 - How was the fishing?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I found 2007 a year of mixed fortunes; some very good days tempered by plenty of bad ones. Last summer was a washout at times and this winter has been tough so far. Two PBs cheered me up but I think 2007 was far from vintage.

Lark

Reaction score
Pretty much the same story as you Mark -did okay on stillwaters and the rivers prior to the flooding in the summer. Since then though,I haven't been able to get my head round the way the rivers are behaving - I'mvery concerned that they may not recover for some time to come.

K

keith buckley

Had a PB barbel from the Dee otherwise it was just cold wet and miserable. Looking on the bright side, things can only get better./forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

The Codfather

Reaction score
not been a bad season, covered new territory and set myself a few benchmarks for '08.

But like we all know the weather has been far from normal this year..summer floods ect.

F

Fred Bonney

Very good year,learnt quite a bit about fishing the flood also ,bait presentation and new methods

G

Ged

Good start, excellent spring but then down hill throughout the summer and Autumn. Only one venue has produced throughout the year but has been iced over last few weeks.

Hoping to start again in the New Year, hopefully with new rods.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Looking back, one of the better years for me!

A 2-13 roach early on and a 3-05 grayling towards the end were the two very big highlights. A third pb (not that I'm counting!) was the 22.08 carp on the pole!

Had some of my best ever blanks, including a weekend chasing cats,and near blanks in an attempt to even things up a bit, but all in all, probably the best year for a while.

FM suppliedseveral trips that were enormous fun, probably topped by the Severn Fish-In where I finally remembered what I like about barbel! Thanks ****y! Closely followed by a very, very wet day on the Kennet & Avon Canal back in January. Thanks Steve!

More please, God willing, in 2008.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
PB pike, carp, bream and my first catfish. I've had a better season then ever before but I'd put that down to progression rather then just a good year. Still had my fair share of blanks though.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
For me it was a great year, concidering I have only be fishing for 17 months I have come a long way, thanks to the help and tutition of a lot of FM members.

Had a couple of PB's too, mamanged to catch my first river carp, learnt how to trott, discovered the joy of fishing a river, even for the small fish.

Looking forward to learn even more in 2008

Oh and I hope I will get my first barbel this year too/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif........and a Zander wouldn't go a miss too /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

yeh a good year to start with but quite a few blanks lately.sterted the new year today with a couple of hours fishing before the wife got up.Cought my first chub of 2008 . hope this year the rivers will perk up a bit.

Iceman

Reaction score
Had real bad season , only managed 1 trip through a mixture of work , health , family and the weather , thought local pit might be a respite from floods but it was very poor loads of perch a couple of small carp and a lonely roach , bo sign of the big slabs or the big tench , Was supposed to be out on friday 3rd january but forecast looks crap . Determind this year will be out at least once a week .

Hope everyone on FM has tight lines

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I wouldn`t say i`ve caught any more fish than usual but it`s been most enjoyable.On a personal note i took up lure fishing and evry trip out (mostly fishless i hasten to add) becomes a learning curve and i just bloody well enjoy it!!!

I also caught a proper barbel from a river on my first ever barbel session....a 14 lbs beauty,memories that will stay with me forever.

Matty`s 44lbs carp on the catfish shindig was another memorable moment from the year.

C

Chris Bishop

Hard at times, almost laughably easy at others. As someone who is predominantly a river angler, it brought home just how much climate change is affecting them.

davie

Reaction score
i didnt fish as much as i would have liked due to work commitments and family stuff. but all in all i had some great days by the water. i even managed a pb carp of 20lbs 04 oz. now that ive had confirmation of my impending redundancy this year i`m going to treat myself to some proper fishing tackle with the package they are giving me and if the time is right [they havent given me a final date yet] i would love to fish in france sometime so if anyone is going during the year and wants a companion with them i would be a willing accomplice. i also intend to attend at least one fm fish-in this year.

nick i still have a fly rod with your name on it [if you want it] you didnt reply after i read your post in the game fishing section.

S

Steve King

I didn't get out as much as I would have liked, mainly due tofinancial reasons! - The increases in the interest rate caused my mortgage to go up in leaps and bounds! The mortgage ended up eating up most of my salary!

Just to cap it all, our management at work announced a pay freeze last year as well!

I simply could not afford to go fishing as much as I wished! I like to get up to the Teme & Severn at least 3 times a year for 3 or 4days barbel fishing, but in 2007 I didn't get up there once!

This year I hope things will be different! I have just got a new mortgage that is so much cheaper (I couldn't change provider earlier because of nasty penalties for redeeming the mortgage within three years).

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A bit of a non event really though I did havea very fewtruly wonderful days float fishing on the Wye which served to remind me what a wonderful river it is, a riveranglers paradise when the fish return return from their summer vacation. Unfortunately the weather decided to turn against fishing at the beginning of November with enormous floodsfollowed closely bya bitter cold spell that put the block on me at least but hopefully things will settle down in the remaining 3 months and I will once again get some some quality time in.

The Severn has had a very unproductive year probably due to the summer flooding which has left the river almost devoid of fish in what were once areas that were full of fish, hopefully they have just moved to another area yet to be discoveredand not been washed away for ever.

The yearwas spoilt really when my long term fishing partner was diagnosed with terminal cancer and then lifted again when he responded well to treatment, at least the one year he was givenhas been extended somewhat.

The positive view is that 2008 will bring a much better year and I for one will be a happy bunny if it does,onwards and upwards is the thought of the day, every day.

Paul Boyle 2

Reaction score
It was very poor for me.

This started at the begining of the season i fish the teme mostly and was really looking forward pre season and then those floods came and ruined it !the teme was a compleat mess,banks covered in silt and when they recovered and nature took the river back the fishing was bleak.

paul