BoB Nudd and theBBC

M

Matthew White

I was just looking over a few of the old threads in the forums on FM when I came across a comment someone made about the BBC and Bob Nudd. They said something about him getting the most votes for the sports personality of the year but not winning it. Is this true or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

K

Kevan Farmer

I don't know if it is true or an urban/angling myth. I do know that a few years ago there was a concerted campaign to send in votes for Bob to be Sports Personality of the year at the BBC. Nothing came of it, as usual it went to some wooden footballer who could not even spell personality.

Kevan

ps. can't you just guess that I'm no fan of football?

D

David Will

Sports Personality of the Year has always caused me confusion.It would seem personality is one of the major requirements, however this did not stop the likes of Nick Faldo or Nigel Mansell winning it.Whether Bob Nudd qualifies is a mystery to me as I have never met the bloke but 'Maggots in ya Catapult'signifies that he must have a sense of humour:)

J

John Pleasance

How many votes,or what percentage of the vote has any winner of this got ?

You don't know do you, cos the beeb won't tell you.

M

Mike Parker

It is true that our Bob got more votes, I think it was more than all the others put together.
The reason Bob didn't get BBC Sports Personality of the year was, wait for it, Angling is not a featured sport on BBC.
It will be interesting if Coulthard wins the F1 Motor racing championships as it also isn't a BBC featured sport

K

Kevan Farmer

Mike. If DC does not win it this year then I think he can forget it. I predict that he is going to be a lot more aggressive this coming season. I have to admit that my money is on Montoya though this time. I don't think Schumacher will hold onto the title.

What does this have to do with fishing? Well, if there is a Grand Prix on it's the one thing that will make me sit in front of the box.

Kevan

R

Ron Clay

Had a brief chat with Bob Nudd last night. Whether you like him or not, he is a very nice guy who obviously can fish.

Sportsman of the year?

Let's face it, it is not politically correct for BBCTV to have anything to do with our sport.

D

Del Jarman

Ron, I wish I had your ability to get right to the crux of the matter in just a few well chosen words.

You are of course 110% correct.

Del.

W

William Spencer

mike ,how many sports apart from snooker does the bbc show?

G

gary magee

When womens curling gets more coverage for winning a gold medal than team england got for the world title beating the french on their own soiland and contending with a cheating french judge. It just goes to show you what the pony tailed cappichino supping librals who run the bbc really think about angling.
Or am I just paranoid.

G

gary magee

I was watching tightlines last night where it was revealed that team england have been refused a table at the sports personality of the year. Due to the fact that the bbc d`ont cover sports that england are good at.

M

Mike Parker

Kevan,
I have to raise this point. There is a theme on hereat present about Pet Loves, I very nearly put on there about listening to the F1 GP on my Walkman whilst fishing you just know its summer.
Unfortunately it will be Shoey again this year with Montoya second and Coulthard third but there is NO WAY I will stay at home and watch F1 rather than get on the bank!

Gary, Why on earth would the england team want to have a table amonst all the possers and multi millionare 'amatures'?

G

gary magee

I agree Kevan but until angling starts pushing its self into public awareness no one who does not fish is going to care whether we survive as a sport or not. And to be perfectly honest to be catagorised as a sport should`nt a sport have some thing to do with war or hunting.I mean being able to slide a piece of granite along the ice is dead useful !!!!!.

M

Mike Parker

Gary,
ooooooooooooooooo (as in chewing the fat)They are sports people and they are an awful lot better looking than you......i hope. ;o)~

K

Kevan Farmer

Ron. Wholeheartedly agree about Bob. He is a real gent who will deliberately go out of his way to help others. I've met him - briefly - when I filmed a special match for disabled children. Bob gave up his free time together with Jan Porter and Dave Vincent. He stopped to help many of the youngsters and the look of sheer pleasure on those kids faces will last with me for ever.

Mike. Wait and see. Personally I would prefer Michael to get the title again, but who knows? Maybe we'll both be wrong and a newcomer could be on the top spot of the podium.

Kevan

D

Dave O'L

I had a friend who was in the sports world & he suggested that the BBC Sports Personality was mostly about the sports that they covered.
This has obviously become more difficult over the past few years.

He also said that he felt 'Auntie' just ignored the fishing vote & saw it as a 'bore' when all the fishers voted every year for Bobb Nudd. They just binned them.

I think I read last year that some other sports tried to raise their profile by orchestrating a campaign.
I think they just see these attempts as pressure groups & respond consequently.