Some lovely books about.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Is it just me or are there a plorifiration of fine angling books about just waiting to empty your pockets at the moment.
What with all the reprints of old angling classics from the likes of Medlar a gem of a book by cocchybonndu I just read and a host of other titles by various other presses.
It just seems we are spoilt for choice at the moment roach books dace books crucian books you name it and it is being covered in a style which is eminently readable .
Angling literature has never been so good, what do you think.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There certainly are, and I'm paying a visit to my old local on Saturday and will probably exit with a somewhat lighter wallet.Events
Jerry

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having something of an insider's view I do know it comes down to economics and what publishers are active. For instance Crowood did a load of angling books back in the 80s/early 90s partly because John Bailey was angling commissioning editor, and he encouraged a number of authors through his position. More recently Medlar, Little Egret and Mpress have cornered the niche market. Merlin Unwin has been mostly quiet.

It's very hard to get an angling book published by one of the bigger publishing houses - witness Chris Yates directed to a non-angling book. Some of the books out recently are on subjects that are rarely written about - dace, crucians and roach for instance - don't expect many more on those subjects for a good while. The carp book market is over-crowded with only big names doing well. One book I fancy a look at is Matt Hayes' new one on angling photography as it combines my interest in both subjects.

There isn't a fortune to be made from angling books; you're doing well to get much at all, and the bigger publishers need you to sell a lot of books before you earn an advance. The satisfaction from seeing a book in print is priceless though, especially if it's a subject dear to your heart. And it's vital the publishers do well enough to make a profit. At least the angling market is the one least likely to go electronic (e-books), hardly the same can be said for fiction.

Hope to say hello on Saturday at The Land's End

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I have been doing my bit chub.
I have seen many many more which are on the list.
Nice to see some single species books getting updated as John Wilsons books are great but a bit dated.
There is also some lovely auto biographals of peoples fishing life which are always good reads.Starting from their childhoods.If we all could put our memories into print like the talented few we would be awash with superb gems.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I totally agree. There must be some fascinating anglers out there with stories yet untold. I would have loved to have read about Alan Wilson's angling journey, all now lost except for the memories of those who fished alongside him. His catches remain legendary.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks chaps ,Mark you book company website does not seem to be showing your book for sale ,the website does not seem to be working so well.
I am also interested in the eel book on sale at the same time but cannot find how to purchase one or how much it is.
I had a look at little egret and payed up front for the barbel epihany out in June thanks Mark.
Shaun it would be nice to read about Alan fishing life ,even though his tactics came under fire at the time at Tring startops his bivvying up life fascinated me as a kid and really appealed.I think his fish were spawn bound which I maybe wrong on that though it was a long time ago.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
Having something of an insider's view I do know it comes down to economics and what publishers are active. For instance Crowood did a load of angling books back in the 80s/early 90s partly because John Bailey was angling commissioning editor, and he encouraged a number of authors through his position. More recently Medlar, Little Egret and Mpress have cornered the niche market. Merlin Unwin has been mostly quiet.

It's very hard to get an angling book published by one of the bigger publishing houses - witness Chris Yates directed to a non-angling book. Some of the books out recently are on subjects that are rarely written about - dace, crucians and roach for instance - don't expect many more on those subjects for a good while. The carp book market is over-crowded with only big names doing well. One book I fancy a look at is Matt Hayes' new one on angling photography as it combines my interest in both subjects.

There isn't a fortune to be made from angling books; you're doing well to get much at all, and the bigger publishers need you to sell a lot of books before you earn an advance. The satisfaction from seeing a book in print is priceless though, especially if it's a subject dear to your heart. And it's vital the publishers do well enough to make a profit. At least the angling market is the one least likely to go electronic (e-books), hardly the same can be said for fiction.

Hope to say hello on Saturday at The Land's End

Hmmmm reading between the lines there Mark that sounds like you wrote your book pretty much for the love of doing so and received no advance etc for it? I sincerely hope that isnt the case.

What hasnt been covered here is self publishing, or as its sometimes known "vanity publishing". There are a number of publishers that do this, the best known in the angling world being Stephen Harper who is in my opinion head and shoulders above any other angling book producer out there.

If you want to go down this road be warned, its expensive and you will be taking on the entire role of marketing, sales, storage and distribution yourself, but you will also earn far far more from the whole process. My last book "Fenland Pike" was brought out this way and by working bloody hard and taking every opportunity to sell it we released the book in August and had broken even by March and though two years down the road we havent quite sold out (on average you will be looking at 2-4 years to sell 2,000), we have made a decent profit from the book with more to come.

chav professor

Reaction score
This is the route taken by your piking colleague Graham Boothe and his 'History of Pike fishing'. Given the meticulous research, writing, proof reading, publishing, marketing etc.. I admire anyone who writes and has a book published by this route (BTW Mark, as soon as I have a few quid spare...... I want your 'Fenland Pike' book).

If you work out the hourly rate for the time put in, I suspect though a superficial profit is apparently available, the hourly rate must be well below minimum wage.

mick b

Reaction score
I've been buying angling books for years and years, but at the recent Romsey Tackle Fair I was recommended to buy a secondhand copy of 'Chalkstream Roach' by John Searle.

For me it is the finest angling book ever written bar none.

Just wish I brought the leather bound version instead!

(PS not read yours yet Mark)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I published a few books using the self publishing route. 10 months ago they were selected as e-books. The angling book sales only improved slightly but a book on horse racing statistics improved tenfold and it has sold worldwide. This is of course down to subject matter but, I would recommend self publishing to anyone. No publisher to turn you down and all the work is done for you apart from writing the book. You can choose to spend money on proof reading and more marketing but, you do not have to and the company will still market the book for you. I think for an amateur like me it was a good introduction.

goonch

Reaction score
I published a few books using the self publishing route. 10 months ago they were selected as e-books. The angling book sales only improved slightly but a book on horse racing statistics improved tenfold and it has sold worldwide. This is of course down to subject matter but, I would recommend self publishing to anyone. No publisher to turn you down and all the work is done for you apart from writing the book. You can choose to spend money on proof reading and more marketing but, you do not have to and the company will still market the book for you. I think for an amateur like me it was a good introduction.

Though I would say that a good publisher is generally the way to go. If necessary they will proof-read, edit, design and market your book. In theory calling on many years of experience publishing similar books and using trade contacts to negotiate best quality / best value printing and binding etc and again using trade contacts to maximise sales. All this costs the author nothing. All they have to do is sit and wait for the royalty cheques, though of course if the author themself uses his own contacts to push the book too then sales will be even better.

Were I to write a book I would go with a proper publisher with a history of success publishing similar work.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Though I would say that a good publisher is generally the way to go. If necessary they will proof-read, edit, design and market your book. In theory calling on many years of experience publishing similar books and using trade contacts to negotiate best quality / best value printing and binding etc and again using trade contacts to maximise sales. All this costs the author nothing. All they have to do is sit and wait for the royalty cheques, though of course if the author themself uses his own contacts to push the book too then sales will be even better.

Were I to write a book I would go with a proper publisher with a history of success publishing similar work.

Thats all true but, if you are a first time publisher and an unknown; getting a publisher to accept your book is nigh on impossible. self publishing will give you a start at least. Just a thought.

mazza

Reaction score
harper fine angling books are really good there newist book angling artist is very good and there leathers are briliant

terry m

Reaction score
I agree that there seems to be a plethora of good titles out there if you are prepared to search - and of course stump up the dosh.
The irony is that the monthlies continue to churn out the same old drivel in large part.

There is also an incorrect preconception that a good angler makes a good writer. Absolutely not. Some of the offerings, especially in the monthlies are dreadful, and I assume that is after the editor has hacked through it.