What makes a successful angling club?

Deanos

Reaction score
Hi all,If you are involved in running a successful angling club or association, I would very much like your help, advice and views on the following:

The main angling club I belong to is looking to grow its membership in the future, it has lots of excellent local and very accessible river fishing, no still waters (unfortunately lost a number of years ago).

I have suggested that we look towards financing the training of a club fishing coach for one thing (I did see in a recent past thread that this was an excellent way of attracting father and son/family and kids into the fold).

I have a few ideas and am willing to give my time and effort, but if you have put ideas into operation and they have proved a success, it will save going through a steep and possibly expensive learning curve.I really would appreciate your help and advice, Deanos.

Deanos

Reaction score
BRILLIANT WOODY!......I will start my education after me tea, you are a bit of a Guru in this area...no doubt!, many thanks mate.

Reaction score
not that i am involved in running a club but one thing i would like my club get is a strick beliff the reason behind this is that the idiots would soon get fed up and go else where and you would be get around and then you would get a better class of person wonting to join youre club ?

brewery boy

Reaction score
A comittee that do'es what the members WANT not what it WANTS

eg.... local prats (anglers?) leave litter..........Comittee penalize US! and ban night fishing

what apathetic way of dealing with it!

They should do like Brenden say's and bailiff the waters properly

KICK EM OUT........

Deanos

Reaction score
It looks like every water needs a BAZ!/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

I shall put that on my list to start with!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A comittee that do'es what the members WANT not what it WANTS

Sorry BB mate, but then we would be in a mess. Ask ten different anglers how they want a water to be run, and you will get ten different answers. So how would you/we pacify a full membership?

Am I being just being controvertial and trying to turn this into an argument again? For those that think so , tough shit. This is my opinion.

Deanos

Reaction score
So far Baz, I have Woody's extensive collection of info to work on, also a need for a good bailiff, I can only guess its a role that few people would wanna take on....

Why don't you do a peace about being a bailiff...I am serious....give it to the masses as it is...warts and all!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I have been asked to do that in the recent past Deanos mate. I would really like to, but the problem is that I would deffinately be hanging myself. I could use false names etc. But it would be obvious to the guilty party as to who I was wrighting about. And you can believe me mate, I have been reported to my club on more than one occasion for things I have written on here. Even though it was in jest.

There are those who would love me to put certain things in writing and then jump at the chance to string me up. I kid you not.

Deanos

Reaction score
I think I am getting the picture as to why nobody wants to be a bailiff!...how long have you been doing the job then Baz?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

12 years or so mate.

<u>1st problem. </u>

You are encouraged to be sociable and friendly with anglers.

In reality this does not work, as it makes things more difficult to snatch their card at a later date, if they overstep the mark. One club I know of actually encourages the bailiffs not to get too friendly with anglers, so as to avoid that situation.

<u>2nd problem </u>

Trying to get a number of bailiffs to all work together, and all be in the same frame of mind is an almost impossible task, if not completely impossible. Somebody allways wants to go it alone and get a feather in their caps.

Personally, if it was up to me, I would hand pick the bailiffs, tell them what is expected. The first sign of them doing their own thing, and they would be out.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Ask any questions you like Deanos. If they get a bit iffy for me, I'll say so, or answer you in private.

brewery boy

Reaction score
Ten different answers? Then have a membership poll if its important....No mess

EVERYTHING has a correct conclusion......just let the members come to it!.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Haveing a members vote or poll could be the wrong thing to do. NOTHING is as straight forward or as easy as what it seems to be. The simplest most common sense of decisions can have a really bad knock on effect in other areas, which most people do not realise.

Plenty of anglers moan about this that or the other not being right. But ask them if they go to the a.g.m's where they can do something about it. That usually shuts them up.

brewery boy

Reaction score
I agree nothing is atraight forward,...... But back to what Deanos asked a good club do's not tell its membersthey can no longer do what they had paid for!(in this case fish).

AGMs are as you say only attended by the few (same old faces)

J K

Reaction score
BB I tried to email you, but you've got it switched off.

Are you a member of Burton Mutual?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Yes Brendon. It is proffessionally known as <u>Assasination Of Charactor.</u> That is the only way the arseholes can get at you.

I will answer any accusation made against me from any smartarse if I am given the chance, or right to reply.

BB. There are a number of reasons why a club may loose a water. Not all of them are the clubs fault. However, I don't know of the case you are refering to, so I can't comment on it.

Deanos

Reaction score
This is why I described being a bailiff as a thankless task Brendan, I think that sometimes because people pay for the ticket, they think that they should also make up the rules.

Baz, on this point how would you see this rule:

Most of the waters I fish have a no night fishing rule in force, I stay on after dark in Winter to say 7pm at the latest. Have I now become a rule bender?

If you were bailiff on the water, should I be there at that time?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Each club can word No Night Fishing in different ways Deanos.

On some waters my club has a No Night Fishing rule.

It is depicted as Day anglers can fish between the hours of one hour<u> before Sunrise,</u> and one hour <u>after sunset.</u>

See BBC website for sunrise/sunset times.

Although if I was after somebody night fishing, I would give it an hour longer, then there is no excuse for them being there. They should have been off an hour ago.

I'm afraid I'll have to snatch your card Deanos mate.