Full length cork handles

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Am I the only one left in the world who actually prefers full length cork handles to the modern dacron, rubber etc rod handles or cork, with various reel fixings?

I thought the changes were simply a cost cutting exercise when the first non-cork versions came out, but obviously all the top range (and budget gear) avoids full length cork like the plague these days.

I appreciate that a reel fixing can hold the reel better - although i have had them jam so you have difficulty getting the bloody thing off. I guess i must just be a dinosaur.

Mart Smith

Reaction score
Nope, I'm with you. I was thinking on friday when I was fishing, that despite having a "full cork" handle, I was actually only holding the plastic / metal screw fittings, rather than the cork! It wasnt too comfy either!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I prefer full cork handles, but not with the ring type reel fittings. I prefer the security of knowing that your reel won't fall off during a hard fight.

I bought a couple of Free Spirit carp rods and Free spirit give an option of having the handle made from cork and for only £20 extra on the price of the rod, very good they are too.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I prefer full cork handles, but not with the ring type reel fittings. I prefer the security of knowing that your reel won't fall off during a hard fight.

I can relate to that, with big fish, although in practice I have only had a reel start to work loose on a couple of occasions whilst playing a fish - adds to the panic and excitement and is easy to rectify!

Trouble is, on one DAM carp rod i own which has the reel seat fitting, its not located far enough along the handle to balance the rod!. With rings i could move the reel a further 4 or 5" along the handle, right to the end of the handle, and get a better feel from the rod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by full cork? I don't have many rods that aren't full cork but the vast majority of modern full cork handles have screw winch reel fittings that mess things up a little. However, if you get those that screw down rather than up, it's not so bad, the only bits of metal/plastic that your hands come into contact with them are the actual rings that the reel is secured by. I definitely don't like screw up fittings where you end up holding the rod by a plastic threaded piece. The odd bit of duplon, usually at either end of the handle, isn't a big drama. You usually find that increased use of duplon is more likely as you go down the price scale of various manufacturers ranges.

I'd not be in any rush to go back to full length cork with sliding rings. The only such handles I still find acceptable were those that Diawa used (preferably with the armlock handles) prior to the wholesale change to winch fittings.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I can relate to that, with big fish, although in practice I have only had a reel start to work loose on a couple of occasions whilst playing a fish - adds to the panic and excitement and is easy to rectify!

Trouble is, on one DAM carp rod i own which has the reel seat fitting, its not located far enough along the handle to balance the rod!. With rings i could move the reel a further 4 or 5" along the handle, right to the end of the handle, and get a better feel from the rod.

I've enough unwanted drama in my life, I don't need to add to it by worrying that the reel is goingt to drop into the drink.

I think that you just have a poorly made rod, the fulcram point should be where your hand sits and that's next to the reel.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I think that you just have a poorly made rod, the fulcram point should be where your hand sits and that's next to the reel.

Indeed, the point of balance is about 2ft further away than that (possibly more) making it feel tip end heavy for want of a better description. I suppose i could add some weight to the end of handle, but it would be nicer to put the reel in the right place instead.

Its an old 11ft DAM Fighter Carp rod, probably from one of the first versions of it too, by the way.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Full cork for me too. My style of fishing,(lures), entails holding the rod for the full duration of any outing, and cork fills the bill. But a screw down reel fitting is essential. I did once try Duplon, but I just couldn't get on with it, since a lot of my fishing is done during Autumn/Winter, in less than clement weather. The Duplon seemed to develop a tacky/slimy feel to it, making it feel less comfortable than cork.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Full cork for me. Not too fussed about the rings on a couple of old trotting rods if used with a pin, sort of got used to them.
Jerry

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Full cork for me. Not too fussed about the rings on a couple of old trotting rods if used with a pin, sort of got used to them.
Jerry

The same here too, I far prefer a full cork handle to the abbreviated duplon things.

Virtually all of my rods have full cork handles except my most recent Carp rods, and I'm thinking of having those altered too.

My Bob James River Rwin Avons have lovely full cork handles and with screw down fittings too.

ladamark

Reaction score
Definitely cork handles for me but then to be honest, I only use antique cane rods for course angling.

BarryC

Reaction score
Cork for me too.
But I suppose if you do the style of fishing where your rods spend days on end sitting on a pod and not in your hand you might as well put the money you save into a couple of Ks of boilies.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love the traditional look of full cork but my top of the range Preston and Daiwa rods have a little Duplon added for good measure and they don't look to bad on it!
I can never understand why they put abbreviated handles on carp rods as IMO full cork looks really classy, but that's just me I guess!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Full cork for me too....with a screw down reel fitting preferably. I've converted 2 or 3 rods to SDRF to get rid of them nasty ring things.Sadly,having sworn I never would, I now own a couple of carp rods with abbreviated handles which I shall just have to put up with I guess.

Yes Mark...Outkasts....and very,very pleased with them I am too :D