Fox Stratos 12000FS MAG

steveo

Reaction score
If its as poorly designed as the last reel Fox made then ?350??????!!!!!!!!...Blimey thats a bit steep,I rekon its worth ?100 top's...Gota be Diawa or Shimano,proven track record.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
SAve the money and get some casting lessons. That alone will put a extra 30-40 yards on your cast. With a little practice.

F

Fred Bonney

With a reel that size, it's a wonder you can pick the rod up to cast,unless your as big as me!

K

keith buckley

I can't see the point of spending £350 on an unproven reel when you can get a shimano or daiwa for less than half that price.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I'll have three.../forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif.

steveo

Reaction score
Just had a look at a review of them on Carpology website.

Yep they look like typical Fox rip offs of other company's hard work.

They certainly ain't re-invented the reel,looks like a cross between an Infinity and a Basia.

A mate of mine bought some of the first Stratos's for some reason I cant comprehend.He has had problems with line twist,line getting caught under the spool and the one that makes me chuckle is watching him try to fold the handles down.If you look at the first Stratos the nut to loosen the handle is small and has little to grip.Carp reels/anglers spend alot of time in the cold and wet and those nut can be a real git to loosen with cold/wet hands.Fox however must of overlooked this design flaw because they supply at extra cost a spanner to loosen the nuts.SO why have they gone and put the same useless nuts on the new 12000?

I think maybe the new 12000 might appeal to a newcomer to carp fishing but then again they would be way to expensive for that and the more experienced Simano/Diawa anglers will be hard to sway when both of these company's produce superb reels some of which are alot cheaper.

eric hall

Reaction score
The spanner comes with the reel mate, I have three of these reels and they are excellent. The first batch was rushed out and there were teathing problems, now more and more people are turning to them for there superior line lay, spool design, and the well designed baitrunner lever (meaning it can't be accidently engaged during a fight, due to its flush design)

There are so many anglers who make comments about the new fox reels without even using them, too many sheep who just follow the comments of others without even using the product.

I am not a huge fan of fox, but the reels i am mightly impressed with, in one year of constant use I wouldn't swap them for anything.

steveo

Reaction score
My mate must of been unlucky with his reels then.

Personally Ive used Shimano bait runners since they were first sold and have never once had any problems with them and have never accidently engaged the baitrunner during a fight.For big pit reels I have used Diawa Emblems Z's In various guises and again cannot fault them.

My comments are based on my mates and my own findings and not those of others.Personally I would not use the Fox reels but that is just my opinion and Im sure fox will sell plenty.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

K

keith buckley

£350, what's it made of, platinum? Sounds like a rip off to me no matter whose name they are being sold under.

wayne brooks

Reaction score
i used to accidentally engage the bait runner on my shimano's,,,,,,,,,but now i remember to take off my boxing gloves lol

K

keith buckley

Wayne, do you still leave them on when you go to bed? Just to save your eyesight of course./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

That was Wayne Kerr,Keith/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifNot Brooks.

So Eric, with the size of the reels, are you beach casting?

...and out of interest why do you ask ,when you already have 3, and don't appear to want another view?

......or do you work for Fox?

eric hall

Reaction score
No, I don't want them, they are not needed for my style of fishing but seeing as this is a forum I thought that I would raise the awareness of the launch of these reels and seek opinions, more out of curiosity really.

The reels I have are not the new Fox reels but the original Stratos 10000 models.

wayne brooks

Reaction score
hello keith and fred my middle name is actually king lol/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

people ask you for an opinion and take no notice anyway, i dunno....kids today eh?

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I believe Fox reels are by Penn who have made similar reels for beachcasting. Regarding Stratos handle, I leave handle extended as use mine on barbel rod which "lives" in quiver.