Carp/Match pole

Ian Winks

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a pole in the next week or two and am stuck on the choice there is out there. To be used for carp to mid doubles, big weights and the odd open match. I was wondering if any of you could say if you have tried on of the poles im thinking of or can recommend one;

Budget is £450 max 14.5/16m wanted.

One's I thought of ;

Shimano Exage

Shimano Carp Cruncher 16m xta

Daiwa Strong beam

Preston innovations Carp Competion

If you have used any of these, your imput and advice would be great as im really stuck, and can be swayed by your advice /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Thanks Ian. Happy new year.

owlsmadangler

Reaction score
Hi Ian

I purchasedthe Shakespeare superteam power 16m in November 07 ,a bit more expensive (699.00) but worth every penny .Pole is very light at 13 and 14.5 mtrs and youcan fish all day at 16 with a pole support system.Additonal package is very good with 2 match kits ,3 power kits,cupping kit,short 4 and extension butt as standard.Also comes in quality holdall .No i dont work for shakespeare but imho it is a cracking product at a cracking price.Good luck with your search and have a happy new year from one who worships in the blue half of Sheffield.

OMA

fred hall

Reaction score
I sympathise with your dilemma Ian. When I look around at a club match and see all the different poles on display I sometimes ask myself which one is the best! Personally I have a LERC 16m pole which I bought secondhand 2 years ago for the sort of money you are talking about. I did a little bit of research and when new it did cost almost 2 grand. It is certainly superior to my previous poles (DAM and before that Shimano Powerloop) but looking at some of the joints I fear that it is not going to last forever! If you have some decent tackle shops near you this may be an avenue worth exploring.

L

Laurie Harper

Do you really need 16 m? £450 is not a lot to spend on a pole of that length. You'll give your self more choice and get something better if you go for 14.5.

S

Stevie 12345

Do you really need 16 m? £450 is not a lot to spend on a pole of that length. You'll give your self more choice and get something better if you go for 14.5.

Always good to have that 16m for them occasions when you do need it, I fished at 16m an awful lot last year.

Also, I will guarantee thatif you can get a16m pole that is usuable at 16m then it will be superb at 14.5m.

Like I say on all similar posts draw a shortlistof poles you are thinking about,thenask your tackle dealer to get them in and try them out and choose theone you prefer.

Im not an expert at that price rangebut the Poles I would look at would be the Exage, the Map Poles and Garbolino Premier legion (this might be a little expensive).

Failing that save up a bit more and get theDaiwa G8

hippy

Reaction score
maver competition 14.5m 3xpk mk& cup kit . I like alot , also compatible with hole range so upgrade at ur own pace to what ever .

B

bobby evo

ian fosters do a great deal on the diawa g8 power £999 or £100 a month wont get a better pole mate bying cheaper is just false economy tried the map stuff but ok upto 13mtrs any longer they are a nightmare stevie 12345 has given ya the best advice mate its well worth waiting for or try and get one second hand you wont be dissapointed ,tight lines bud/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

ROBO

ive got a maver genesis 16mtr pole and the elastic goes up to size 20 they where £800new and now you can get the same pole for around £500 new also its a good all round pole and its very light and there is a genesis pole on ebay so you could get a bargin good luck Ian ..

E

Edmund Cowpe

- decide how many top kits you need

-do you fish deep venues which require additional top '3' section

-do you get a cupping top, does this include the cups

-how long will the company carry spares for (you will break sections)

-how long is the guarantee for

-go for the lowest elastic rating you think you will need

I would recommend a Tricast thats a couple of years old. You will get it cheap, it will have all the above. They carry spares for every pole they ever made. It will be stronger than its elastic rating. It will fish well at any length

mat pendle

Reaction score
id go for the maver 151 its very light and you can always upgrade in the future

diageo

Reaction score
HAVE A LOOK AT THE NEW TRABUCCO MATCH/CARP POLES, THEY ARE EXTREMLEY LIGHT STIFF RELIABLE, AND STRONG,THERE IS A SELECTION TO CHOOSE FROM TO SUIT EVERYONES BUDGET,MY ADVISE IS TRY TO BE A LITTLE FLEXIBLE AROUND YOUR BUDGET, IT MAY BE WORTH SPENDING AN EXTRA 50 QUID,, THE OTHER POLES WORTH A LOOK ARE THE MAP TKS POLES