Different shaped landing nets

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I have a "spoons shaped nets and triangle shaped nets

The triangle shaped nets are deeper and used for bigger fish but what difference does the shape make?

- the spoon or round nets could be made just as deep

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the spoon shaped nets (for ordinary pleasure fishing). Used to be just a choice between round pan nets (matchfishing) or triangular (specimen hunting). The spoon is a great compromise between the two.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I think it's because the Triangle Nets are on the main designed for Specimen Fishing there fore are Collapsible, where as the Pan Nets aren't collapsible (well not that i know of).

You can get rather large Round Nets, i have seen them used on Fishing Boats.

As the landing net gets larger it is obviously advantageous for it to be collapsible for the ease of transporting it from A to B.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Large round/oval nets are often favoured by many lure anglers, for several reasons.
Being a mobile pursuit it's much easier to cart a round frame along a bank, (dragging if you will) by holding the net frame. Also the net frame leans against the leg nicely whilst actually fishing, no corners to get caught up in vegetation. Neither does it matter from which direction any fish are netted, front or side. If there is one down side, most of the round lure nets are none collapsible, but for my part, this small niggle is outweighed by the many advantages.