Are Centre Pins an over priced rip off

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Why do Centre Pins on general cost more than a Spinning Reel in this country?

I can get a good spinning reel for around the £60 mark with spare spools and have a choice of a few, but with Centre Pins they seem to be more expensive on the whole and you don't get a spare spool as standard on most.

I mean what sort of fishing can you do with a centre pin that you can't do with a Spinning Reel?

Is the spinning reel better suited to coarse fishing than the centre pin?

murv

Reaction score
Only the obvious trotting is better, or easier, with a 'pin.

Yes, I think they're an overpriced rip off, there's far more engineering that goes into a fixed spool.
Trouble is, a decent 'pin is a thing of such beauty!

I only have the cheapie Dragon carp one (the marco cortesi thing) which retails at £30.00 which is a far more realistic price IMO but I do very little trotting.
I do occasionally use it for legering though, more for the sake of it than anything if I'm honest.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I have never owned or used one. I would like to try one one day for trotting - more than one day i suspect to get the hang of using one. Thing is, i use an ABU closed face which is just a joy for trotting anyway, so seems little incentive.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most centrepins arn't mass produced and so the cost of building is much more. Also the materials used in a Chris Lythe for example are of a very high quality and are expensive to buy.
There are perfectly good useable pin's in the lower price ranges but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

bigchub

Reaction score
If you have used a top range pin like a Lythe, Carter etc, then you would easily see why they command the money they do. This differences between a precision, hand made pin (not massed produced) and a fixed spool are like chalk and cheese - there is simply no comparison.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
So they're not a rip off?

What can they do, or, what do they give you for that price, that you can't get from a Fixed Spool reel?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

What can they do, or, what do they give you for that price, that you can't get from a Fixed Spool reel?

Imo you just can't trott a float down a river with the finess of a centrepin when using an open faced reel (or a closed faced reel for that matter) as you can when using a pin. When using a pin you have constant contact with your float with not loose line inbetween.
At the end of the day if you don't like centrepins (as it seems most people don't) just don't buy one. Simply carry on using your fixed spool reel if your happy with it.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score

From watching them in use, they are great for inching the float down the trot, holding back etc, improved control of line. With a free trot the pin can slow the float just the right amount, paying out line and it can move on quicker. An art from what i have seen.

xenon

Reaction score
As has been said, the only thing it does that cannot be emulated by a fixed spool reel is trotting with real precision and control-you can inch a float down at any rate you like whilst staying in touch all the time. It's a one-trick pony, but it's a hell of trick. The other advantage is that when playing a real lump it wont seize up-you can always apply more pressure if need be.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
In my opinion most pins are overpriced. A handmade pin from a top manufucturer is obviously going to be priced accordingly, but compared to the engineering that goes into a quality fixed spool they are very simple bits of kit indeed.

I called around to see my best mate yesterday and he has just bought one of those Marco Cortasi reels, I was a bit surprised as he has a really nice Carter centrepin. Turns out that the Carter is worth too much money for him to feel comfortable using it on the bank. I don't get it personally, but each to his own.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't care if they are as cheap as chips or the flashest, most expensive centrepin in the world. I won't be giving another one house space, regardless.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I don't care if they are as cheap as chips or the flashest, most expensive centrepin in the world. I won't be giving another one house space, regardless.

Many people use them in situations for which they are unsuited, but for close in margin work on lakes or trotting in apropriate conditions they are great fun. Surely that's what its about.

You may think someone was fleeced when he parted with his hard earned cash for what is basicaly a drum supported on a couple of bushes, but if this provides the person with greater enjoyment in his fishing then so what.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Could they be produced cheaper with modern materials and still give that Quality of Fishing but without the Quality of feel?

What i mean is, you could still fish with them as well as any other Pin but they just wouldn't look as nice.

How would many Pin users feel about that?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I agree for around £40.00p that is a very reasonable price indeed.

It certainly sounds like a very good entry reel for anyone wishing to try Centre Pin Fishing for the first time or for anyone who just wants to use a Pin on the odd occasion.

guest61

Reaction score

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I agree for around £40.00p that is a very reasonable price indeed.

It certainly sounds like a very good entry reel for anyone wishing to try Centre Pin Fishing for the first time or for anyone who just wants to use a Pin on the odd occasion.

The one my friend bought looked ok, bearings sounded a little rough and the drum was slightly out of balance, nothing that couldn't be fixed in a few minutes.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Many people use them in situations for which they are unsuited, but for close in margin work on lakes or trotting in apropriate conditions they are great fun. Surely that's what its about.

You may think someone was fleeced when he parted with his hard earned cash for what is basicaly a drum supported on a couple of bushes, but if this provides the person with greater enjoyment in his fishing then so what.

Where did that come from:confused:? I made no comment on what anyone else should do, only that I won't be giving a centrepin house space myself. Tried it, didn't like it. Won't be trying it again, regardless of the cost of the pin. I also didn't say a word about anyone being fleeced or not. I couldn't care less what someone else spends their money on.

Last edited: