Line lay on spool

InteraX

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just loaded line on my new reel. For some reason, the line seems to have laid with a preference towards the front of the spool, so I have a conical shape once the front edge of the spool is filled. I find it hard to believe that this could be due to the reel as it's a Shimano Stradic 4000, or is this an undocumented'feature'?

Thanks,

Chris

njb51

Reaction score
If you take the spool off the reel, there should be some washers on the spindle that the spool sits. These determine how the line lays on the reel. Check the manual, should give you some guidance in there.

InteraX

Reaction score
Having taken the spool off the spindle, there are no washers, just the spindle and the rotor nut. The instructions do not mention adjusting line lay and only include text and the exploded diagram.

The instructions do state that you can adjust the winding shape, but do not mention how.

njb51

Reaction score
hmmmm, its usually done with washers placed/removedfrom the spindle....

J K

Reaction score
This is taken from the instructions from a Stradic reel I recently bought. The only specific reel type mentioned is A-RB, which is a front drag adjustment reel.

How to adjust the winding shape of line.

Upon delivery, the line is set to wind to an optimum shape. However with the help ofattached washers the winding shape can be adjusted as illustrated below to suit individual preferences. With lines made of fluorocarbon and other hard substances, it is best to set the line to wind more to the front of the spool to avoid the problem of backlash.

The delivery position shows the line wound parallel on the spool.

To set to wind more to the front.

Reduce the number of washers on the spool shaft.

To set to wind more to the back.

Increase the number of washers on the spool shaft.

Supplied with the reel I bought is a pack of 3 small washers.

On another rear adjustment Stradic there is no mention of adjusting the line lay and no washers included.

Hope this is of some help.

InteraX

Reaction score
I've just spoken to felindre. Their instructions are as follows.

Unscrew the spools front cap. Under the cap, as shown in the exploded diagram is the following. Washer - clip - washer - large washer - button. They have told me to move one of these washers so that I have the following. Clip - washer - washer - large washer - button.

I'm surprised by this.

E

Eric Hayes

The guys at felindregave me similar info when I rang about a Baitrunner 6000GTE doing the same as your4000. They told me to move the order of the three washers under the spool release button(1 Big &2 Small ) I didas they said and it did fix the problem. I now have perfectly level line lay on the spools.

InteraX

Reaction score
It sounds to me that they have the spools setup by default for the recomended shape for fluocarbon and other harder lines, not mono. Weird. I would have thought the default would be for mono with the option of setting up for fluro.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I think it is more to do with the line diameter than what it is made from. I know with carp reels that 15 lb line will load nicely onto a big pit but iof i put 40 on the same reel it doesn't lay anywhere near as nice.
The Fox Stratos reels i have come with some shims that can be added to give whatever line lay you want, some people like the spool front loaded for better casting.