1st digicam

nicky

Reaction score
i've just bought my first digicam and dont wont to ruin it when taking it fishing any advice on keeping it in good nick.

for now i've put it in a polythene bag and then put it in a spare hard case the kids had for their nintendo ds

M

MarkTheSpark

Hey! MarkW! That's my name you've got. Hope you're not my body double or a stalker.

Nicky. Serious advice; don't ever keep any camera in a plastic bag. The problem with sealed plastic bags is that, while they can keep water out, they can also keep it in, and while a camera might survive a drop of rain, it's much less likely to survive a plastic bag sauna. Yes, Buy a pukka camera bag; they're always remiandered in bins in Jessops once a year, and if not I'm sure fleabay has something.

A proper bag will have some shock insulation, be keep the rain off and, most importantly, will let your camera breathe if it gets damp. If you want to dry a wet camera, give it a mop down with a teatowel then put it UNDER a radiator, where the cool air currents will do it gently.

MarkW

Reaction score
Hey markthespark thats my name not yours/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifbut dont worry i am not your stalker or body double and i wish i hadtaken the advice you gave nicky

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Good advice from mark there. Would also add that if you do get it really wet. remove the battery as soon as possible and do not turn it on until dry. This should help stop anything shorting out.

C

Cakey

Iended up with two cameras,one for fishing and one for best !

The Monk

Reaction score
Digital cameras don`t like damp and wet, so avoid it, the batteries don`t like the cold either

The Monk

Reaction score
Thanks Nicky

Cakeys spare battery in the pocket works well and you can use them in bad weather of course, when I`ve been photographing thunderstoms at night for instance, I use a camera overcoat, its well worth getting one of these all wesather bags that allows you to cover your camera but still take photographs in wet and raining conditions and if you use a hood over the lense tis will keep rain drops away from the lense, I also use a cable release which comes out of the camera coat sideways to prevent any rain entering from the top, all this on a tripod of course