Peter Stone vintage rod

Reaction score
I haveacquired a vintage fibreglass rod, a "Peter Stone Leger SU" at 11 foot, a two piece semi opaque brown glass early rod. I have never seen a "stepped up" model before,only the "leger".I believe the Leger was 1lb tc, so whatis this one? I have tried the old unreliable load it with lead and pull the tip 90 degrees, but most rods will notoblige. Nor will this, I stopped at 1 & 3/4lb, still inconclusive. It is an attractive rod, and will fish alongside a Wilson Avon this spring. Does any wise sage out there have any knowledge of this rod.All info will be appreciated.

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
I think this rod was the model before the launch of the Davenport and Fordham Legermaster and Legerlite that were made in honey coloured glass. Most SU rods of the time were 1.5lb TC. At this time D and F were based in Ware, Herts where I lived and fished the River Lea with their rods.

I owned the Legermaster and caught barbel, chub, tench and roach on it in the very early seventies from the Lea at Ware and Carthagena Broxbourne.

Reaction score
It is certainly the right colour. The rod has no makers name, only a thread elongated star (*) logo. I would have expected the Marco fisherman logo, I believe Davenport worked there before creating D & F. I wonder who made this, and when. I will use it alongside 1.5 and 1.25lb rods and see how it feels. You probably are right at 1.5lb.

Thank you for your thoughts. I was so dissapointed to find so little information around on such a great anglers rod range.

mogs

Reaction score
Maybe the rod was built by Peter Stone for himself thus the star logo a one off???????????

Dave Park

Reaction score
I use one of the ORIGINAL Peter Stone Legerstrikes, made by James of W Ealing.

Soon after they came on the market, James was obliged to increase the dimensions of the tip, because so-called anglers were complainingabout sets, fractures etc.

The reason was that these so-called anglers were trying to use the Legerstrike for purposes that Peter Stone never designed it for. He designed the rod for "touch-legering", at which he was a master, and that meant the rod had a very delicate and sensitive tip. For"touch legering "a Legerstrikeis superb, but alas that is a dying art these days.

Whattherodwas NOT designed for is whacking two ounces of lead out, sticking it in a restand waiting for the rod to pull round.

The result was thatmany later Legerstrikes are not built to Peter Stone's original design - and of course derivatives of a design are rarely as good as the original.

**** Walker pointed all this out in one of his columns (either AT or "Fishing" - I can't remember which)

Edit - Oh, I've just seen that your rod is inglass fibre. My remarks are about the split-cane original.

Reaction score
Now wouldnt that be something Mogs, a rod from the god ? Well, almost. Hence the "star"??

Dave, yourinput is still appreciated. I know the legerstrike, legermaster and legerlight rods, and Peter's design reasons for these. But this rod is a " Peter Stone Leger SU ", and its 11ft long. Not 10ft or 10ft 6. It is not made with a fine tip, more like a Carp rod. So why not call it "Carp SU"? . I wonder if it was designed for Barbel, or big Chub, or big Bream at long range?

Probably not Bream, as **** Walker put him off them a bit by saying "haven't you caught enough of them", and putting an end toPeter Stones long enjoyment of catching Thames Bream.

Someone will knowthe history of this lovely old rod, and it will be good to find out.