Do we need ?

F

Fred Bonney

Rather than add a question on to Bob's new thread,I thought a different view should be sought.

Do we need professional angling representation?

Reaction score
Yes Fred, angling does need to be represented,

It needs to berepresented when the RSPB try to shut down angling on rivers.

It needs to berepresented when silting up or water abstraction takes place rendering some areas unfishable,

It needs to be represented to the Government of the day,

It needs to be represented to Sport England for vital cash injections toencourage others into our sport/pastime,

It needs representing at international angling events,

It needs representing as part of children's scholarship and curriculum,

I could go on and on, but you get the gist;

Angling needs professional representation.

J K

Reaction score
Angling was caught napping on the lead shot problem with few skills on handling the national media press. - Taken from the NFA website.

So a most definate YES, Angling does need to be represented by professional experts.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

There is little or no doubt that Angling will need <u>professional representation</u> at some point in the near future.

That said, a lot revolves around one's definition of "professional"

honslow

Reaction score
Definitely. If you want to be taken seriously then you have to be professional. That's where I go wrong all the time.....

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Yes of the right quality!

But there in lies the problem!

To get that quality it costs, and cost a lot of money - a cost anglers don’t seem to want to pay!

Conversation yesterday with my fishing buddy, he’s not an angling politico, about an old match fishing mate of his who came round to see him over Christmas break.

On the mantelpiece was my buddy’s new club card. Match mate says “You still in X club then? How much is that now?” “My Buddy, £90” Match mate, “Bloody hell that’s expensive I wouldn’t pay that much for a club card!”

The club has over 200 waters on the card, is professionally run and has paid staff.

Kinda illustrates to me the problems angling faces in having the money to get the right quality!

Remember, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys!

Reaction score
Yes definately.

Every mainstream sport has prefessional representation over a nuber of aspects as far as I am aware.

There a many anglers and many aspects of angling that need proper representation.

I have mentioned before that I believe angling is seen to fit somewhere between train spotting and fox hunting by many non anglers. This has to change if angling is to get the perception and support it deserves, which I think can only be done with proper representation.

T

teecee

Yes,yes,yes Fred(or was it right said Fred?).............and for my money youv'e got the job-or if not Fred,WHO do you suggest is in the frame????

We cannot keep talking about IF we need representation,we need to decide WHO can do the job(don't we??)or more importantly WHO would want to take it on................the man(or women)would then formulate his own plan with his'team'of advisors and the fishing public in tow(best scenario....)

Please don't come back on this with"Yes,BUT"-lets have a few names to kick around who have the necessary background and pedigree(and masses of time)!!!!

Salary?...£60,000+benifits depending on hours worked-okay?

F

Fred Bonney

Just so that we can think about initial costs,teecee. Are we talking £60k,with a voluntary "team", or a paid administration "team"?

Because, we then get back to Bob's question which, whenI last looked, nobody was prepared to comment on!

Greg get your picture fixed, and we may,yes may, take you seriously/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Fixed, Fred???

£60K... A Chief Executiveof a small housing association receives more than that, plus the now mandatory BMW, Merc or Lexus.

T

Tony Rocca

Im not greedy, I will do it for 70K, ........four day week though.

It is the further division of angling we are after isnt it?

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Fred,

Yes.

Where's the money going to come from?

OK. Back to square one then. Whos move is it now?

Regards,

Lee.

F

Fred Bonney

John H, you mean, that is what he looks like in the flesh?

No repect due then!

So, £100k a year before we start on the team and the running costs. Total £250K?

Onemillion anglers at 25pence pa each,easy job to get the funds then!

However,based on my wishlist of a £1 each, with 30 responses out of 40000,that means that only .075% of FM members would be willing to pay.( Or even the individual responses on the original thread)

Using the million licence holders,.075% means only 750 would need pay £33pa each, to break even.

It'll work then!

Reaction score
yes we do because if we dont there are plenty of anti anglers who will have professional representatives against us maybe we could ask the tackle makers to put a few pence on there stuff and help fund it ? in the log term it would make them more money

Reaction score
Fred, that is precisely why the funds have to be made compulsory, I have said it before, but it bears repeating, angling history shows that the majority of anglers do not/will not voluntary join their representative body's, partly through apathy,partly through mistrust but mostly through blissful ignorance, not stupidity, but ignorance of the why's and wherefore's, there is no doubt that is the fault of the NFA , they have been around since 1903 but most ordinary anglers would not know it.

I repeat ,the funds have to be compulsory, what I am interested in is how?

I would prefer it if the funds were gathered independently, straight to one angling organisation, the one that Mark Lloyd and Mike Heylin are trying to create, in other words, just like we are compelled to buy a fishing licence to go fishing, we must be compelled to join the new body, quite how that can be achieved is beyond me.

Incentives are one thing, but will not appeal to everyone, they will not stir every angler to join,but that must be the aim, if this is to be done, then let it be done properly once and for all.