Feeding the Robins

Big pop B

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this with you.

After having fished for the morning to catch just one small Chub, I decided to throw a few maggots to the Robins that were flying around the branches that are next to the platform I was fishing from. I had tried for yearsto get one to feed from my hand to no avail, but this time it worked! Four times no less! I was well chuffed, it may not mean a lot to most people, but it made what was otherwise a fruitless day into a red letter one for me. To add to this a Kingfisher perched on the very end of branch just down the bank, and was at there for a good 15 minutes. Guess who didn't have a camera wth him? Doh!

Adie

barry dix

Reaction score
Nice one I had a robin land on my pole while I was fishing on New-Years eve, the little blighter did it a couple of times and was rewarded with a sprinkling of maggots.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

There seem to be a lot more Robins and Kingfishers about these days which is great in my view

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Last weekend I spent a couple of hours on the Avon with an Avondale 'Dalesman' split cane rod and an old Aerial reel fishing maggot for Dace and Roach.

For the first hour or so it was pretty quiet, but I had a Kingfisher come and sit right by my (Efgeco) bait box and after about 3 minutes he got up the courage to perch in the edge and help himself to my maggots.

Now that is FISHING MAGIC!

W

Wolfman Woody

And I'll bet you didn't have a camera either, Peter!

Wallies!

Nice stories though.

P

Jeff,

Nope, I left the mobile in the car, and for once I was travelling really light.

Yes, I know that is hard to believe but it is true.

It was a spur of the moment trip and I didn't have my usual 'entourage' of kit with me.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
It's not all about fishing,love feeding the robin's with a few maggots.

Had the pleasure of seeing a bat buzzing along the top of the water the other day, in broad daylight, must have went past me 6 times and yes, no camera.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There was a robin cadging food in my swim until 10.30 the other night. As Andy says there also seems to be an influx of kingfishers about. Anyone else noticed it?

Incidentally. There is a crcking video/dvd out about the private life of the Robin. Narrated by Bernard Cribbins. Brilliant stuff.

P

"There was a robin cadging food in my swim until 10.30 the other night."

Did it have a club card Baz?

Was 'night fishing' allowed on that venue?

[insert very large daft smiling face]

Jeff,

I have lost count of the number of times I've been 'buzzed' by bats when fishing the fly at dusk.

But, it is at times like this that you realise that there is so much more to 'fishing' than either politics or even 'catching' - and long may it continue like that.

W

Wolfman Woody

Bats are a plague in summer with us. Always crashing into your lines making you think you've had a knock.

They're either Daubentons or natterers - so I was told.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Daubentons most likely if they are close to the water Jeff. Commonly know as the Water Bat.

Natterers tend to fly at tree canopy level.

My fishing buddy and I found a bird table that had come down in the last flood on the Ribble So we put it up by sinking it in the ground and we now put food on it every time we fish the swims. Asthe swims are in a wood, we get every woodland bird visit it over the period we're there.

nicky

Reaction score
Baz i've noticed a massive upsurge in the kingfisher population where i live i usually see a couple every time i visit the river no matter which area i fish, and they are not just confined to the rivers they are on the moat at the castle smack bang in the middle of town and other urban ponds that i fish. Always enjoy seing them

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I always love it when the local bird life descends on you when fishing the maggot and it isn't always robins either, I have had yellow wagtails, blackbirds, thrushes as well as the proverbial tits and robins looking to be fed as they always are, one pinch for the swim and one pinch for the birds, we are a soft lot aren't we?

The Teme is a place where kingfishers abound for some reason, I rarely have a session on there without a visit by a beautiful kingfisher, aren't they just the most wonderful sight on a river? That flash of irridescent blue is usually the first thing you see without even seeing the actual bird, usually seen through your peripheral vision but you instantly know what it is at which point you forget about the fishing and start looking for the kingfisher. I have also had a couple of otters ruin what was a cracking days fishing when they decided to have a play and a feast on the fish that I had painstakingly shoaled up just as the river shallowed up at the bottom of the swim, I didn't mind though because it was a sight one doesn't see very often when fishing.

The sights and sounds of nature are what makes angling the great pastime that it is and even some commercials have a resident wildlife if you are prepared to look for it.

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
IMG_1982.jpg

bat.jpg

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Steve

www.caravanonthesevern.co.uk

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What's the life span? about 18 months isn't it?

Big pop B

Reaction score
Nice picture Steve, I wish I could’ve taken one. But even if I had a camera with me it would’ve flown off as it was sat on my thumb. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
Cheers Big pop.

Its a friendly little bugger, comes to see me most times when I'm fishing there (assuming its the same Robin, butI think they are very territorial, so it probably is).

Here's the same one sittingnext to me.

IMG_1983.jpg

The Bat was a fluke, I just pointed and pressed whenI thought it was in shot, and bingo.

Have to agree, it makes me very grateful when I see some of the sights that I've lucky enough to see.

Steve

www.caravanonthesevern.co.uk

J

John McLaren

I love watching the birds whilst fishing (one of the benefits of touch-ledgering of course!) I find that with kingfishers the flight call is often the first thing I am aware of and then I am desperately trying to spot the bird before it disappears into the bankside trees.

One trip last summer I had a very bold pheasant spending most of the day begging for food - even climbing over my feet to get at dropped maggots - but I only tried to feed it by hand the once OWW!!