braved the rain gales and cold

nicky

Reaction score
Ventured out in the horrible weather yesterday but glad i did as i caught 100 roach in the session on the waggler i know it may not sound like much to some of you more experienced anglers but it was a real acheivment to me as i have been trying to do it on this one pond for years.

geminus

Reaction score
Well done nicky/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif There are days when even the most experienced angler is pleased to catch one roach.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
You brave soul Nicky,sounds like it was worth it though.

nicky

Reaction score
tell me about it the last trip i had out i fished a different still water and after 4 hours caught my first fish a tiny little roach which was very welcome, seemed as if the lake was empty that day

nicky

Reaction score
As I got there Gav the rain just started so i hurredly set up my little £5 day shelter which isn't particulary waterproof half hour later i was sat there as the heavens opened and the winds howled with drops of water dripping down my neck and thought to myself i must be insane but the weather did get a little bit better in the afternoon but the wind made catching the waggler to bait up very difcult as it blew about in the wind like a kite.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Your a braver man than I Nicky,every now and then I do a bit off silver snatching but I have never been great at it or any other fishing for that matter.

nicky

Reaction score
I must admit i left the house rather half heartedly but i was too stubborn to give up as i had made a bag of bread punch ready to go, and made a few hooklinks with my new hook tyer (never used spade end hooks before). The bread punch turned out to be a good choice of hookbait as i didnt get bothered by the millions of sticckle back that inhabit this pool which are a pain if using maggots or worms. Although right at the end of the session i switched to maggots and caught some larger specemins including a roach of about a 1lb

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Nicky I think spade end hooks make a difference when it comes to the roach ,something too do with them being a bit lighter so aiding presentation on the drop ,so my mucker used to say anyway and his roach catches spoke for themselves.

nicky

Reaction score
well it seems to ring true and the hook did seem more suitable for the job and the knot is almost invisible. I think the hooks were kamasan b911's i do like all the kamasan hooks i've tried.

nicky

Reaction score
Matt

I know what you mean about the pike fishing i have had a little bit of success this year or should i say last year to be more accurate, nice to do something a bit different to break up the blanks.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nice to see someone catching fish-I imagine half the anglers in the country would be happy with half that amount-I know I would!!

Well done anyway-you deserve your success just for be out and trying!!

Spade ends-just the ticket for roach fishing in my book.....

nicky

Reaction score
cheers tee-cee i've had some difficult sessions out lately this damn winter weather, good thing about this pond is it isn't owned by anyone and i was the only person fishing

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Nicky,

Well done mate, dont matter how big the fish are, the thing is you went out and done something many wouldnt have done in that downpour and wind.

I do know a couple of lads thatfish for the Roach when the weather is like that, and have had some great fish, the stronger the wind the better they say. Well done.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Nicky.....thats a good catch in anyones books!

nicky

Reaction score
cheers guys, the only real problem was trying to grab the hook to put the bait on as it was flying around like a kite, think i also discovered an alternative baiting strategy by accident which obviously worked, when i wet the white crumb i over did it with the water and after a few minutes it went like porridge but instead of scrapping it and starting again i mixed it up really vigourously untill i had loads of tiny balls of doey bread around the same size as the punch this allowed me to feed 5 or 6 small particles at a time via the catapult which was much easier than getting out of the shelter to throw in small balls of groundbait not exactly conventional but the fish didn't seem to mind