The Kingsbury Angling Club

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I used to fish with this club back in the late 50/early 60's-does anyone know if it still around?

Bill Knott,a great angler was around at the time......................my mentor when I first match fished!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thanks John....No unfortunately its not.

The Kingsbury Angling Cluboperated out of north london and I suspect it closed down eons ago.Just me doing a bit of reminiscing about the old days......chances are the members are all long gone anyway!!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Alan-yes,Frames of Hendon may well know.........it wasTHE shop for kingsbury members and I went every week for my maggots and tackle as it was the best shop around.I am amazed its still going!!

In fact DerekFrame sold memy first rodfor match fishing-a 14'spanish reed job with twin tapered split cane top joint that weighed a ton but I used it for trotting on the Thames for hours-how,I dont know-I must have been stronger in those days!

I still have it but it was retired many moons ago....

Thanks for coming back though!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If you noticed any pear-shaped marks on the window, about 4' off the deck about1965, those were the imprints of my 13-year old nose as I lusted after the gleaming, unaffordable treasures... something about layers of vanish that make the whippings look like paint, against the honey-brown cane... (gives a little shudder and shuffles off for a consoling malt and a cold shower...)

ford1947

Reaction score
I used to fish with this club back in the late 50/early 60's-does anyone know if it still around?

Bill Knott,a great angler was around at the time......................my mentor when I first match fished!

I used to be a member in the 50's. as far as i know the club has closed.But i do remember Bill Knott & his son Billy.I was told some years ago that he moved to Devon or Cornwall.
There is a lot of other names i remember like Pop Harris, (he was red hot with the london roach pole fished with hemp & wheat).
Why not give me a ring or text me on 07935397374 so we can have a good chin wag about the old days. Regards Alex Wood

ford1947

Reaction score
Another name has just come to mind& that's Jack Collins.Also Chris Curtis, Ken somebody.
I wonder what happened to the small lake the club had on Stanmoor Common? I always remember the first time we fished the Reggata course by temple island at Henly.Bill Knott said fish by the white post. When we got there there was about 50 posts. please get in touch. Alex Wood

john step

Reaction score
Another name has just come to mind& that's Jack Collins.Also Chris Curtis, Ken somebody.
I wonder what happened to the small lake the club had on Stanmoor Common? I always remember the first time we fished the Reggata course by temple island at Henly.Bill Knott said fish by the white post. When we got there there was about 50 posts. please get in touch. Alex Wood

Last time I drove past Stanmoor Common there were NO FISHING signs all over it. Apparently the genteel types there don't like rough coarse fishermen sullying the area.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
If you noticed any pear-shaped marks on the window, about 4' off the deck about1965, those were the imprints of my 13-year old nose as I lusted after the gleaming, unaffordable treasures... something about layers of vanish that make the whippings look like paint, against the honey-brown cane... (gives a little shudder and shuffles off for a consoling malt and a cold shower...)

I used to frequent the said Frames. Derek retired and his son Keith took it over. I first went in there as a 16yr old in 1965. Sometime after 1965 they moved a short way along West Hendon Broadway from the half shop to a full shop.
I last went in there about 1989.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I used to be a member in the 50's. as far as i know the club has closed.But i do remember Bill Knott & his son Billy.I was told some years ago that he moved to Devon or Cornwall.
There is a lot of other names i remember like Pop Harris, (he was red hot with the london roach pole fished with hemp & wheat).
Why not give me a ring or text me on 07935397374 so we can have a good chin wag about the old days. Regards Alex Wood

Billy Knott did move down to Devon or Cornwall, I think he took all the bets on big fishing matches, also had something to do with a fishery down there, then his son Billy jnr took over.

seth49

Reaction score
Just had a yellow warning for gales and heavy rain on Sunday, typical March weather really.