East coast Access

cadius

Reaction score
How many sea anglers from my area and afar fished on the piers of Walton and (not recently)Felixstowe?I ask this because it may just possible to persuade the powers that be because of the loss of fishing access due to the sea defence work and the encroachment of Felixstowe docks and the almost certain loss of bait collection areas, with the sites being ear marked for yet other extensions at Bath-side at Harwich, E.T.C, also the proposed Reference areas don't you think its time the Government who is at the top of all this recent management activity,gave something back to us anglers,like permanent repair funding for these and other Piers around the country?When, just as a passing thought, you remember that the vat you pay on everything that you purchase goes to fund the coffers of the Government, some sort of help would be on offer to try and preserve these Heritage structures.They attract anglers and the general public to areas that sometimes have little else to offer.It is just possible that the recent newly named I.F.C.A (was D.E.F.R.A) who are responsible for commercial and leisure fishing can be steered in this direction.There are anglers who serve this new body perhaps they could suggest that future sea defence work although essential to try and slow coastal erosion,may allow anglers some in put into the planning.I can remember when Frinton wall was a mecca for anglers the sea defence work carried out there basically curtailed angling,to protect a golf course?????????.I' not a bitter or vindictive person but i do think we are being forced into an ever decreasing space.cadius......

chav professor

Reaction score
Living in Ipswich, at times I have been a fanatical sea angler with a particular interest in cod and bass from Felixstowe beach. I have not fished it recently, but seen the flood defence work at between the Spa and Fludgers and it does not look great.

I cannot understand why a beach 'resort' would want a pier that was not accessable to the public........ The pier at Southwold is a tourist attraction in its own right and an angling mark..... a good model I suggest.

Felixstowe is a super mixed ground beach and offers good sport on its day. The sea defences have ruined the character of the old place.

Perhaps this is why I have drifted away from beaches, now preferring a few trips after cod down the dirty wall.

As for the golf course, how many government minister, local councillors etc enjoy a few rounds of golf 'old boy'!

cadius

Reaction score
Hi there Chav Professor,i totally agree with what you have said.I love to fish the beaches at Felixstowe,also enjoyed many a good session on the pier.It does make me wonder about the rules set up for protecting old buildings.If your house was in a bad state of repair the powers that be would make you repair it wouldn't they.so why not the piers.At least you are still able to fish the beaches,i think when they have finished at Clacton/Holland on Sea,i think you will have a Frinton Wall scenario.Good luck with the dirty wall i love that place too,but the walk can be a killer,shame the National trust have hold of the reigns??More power influence,a little surprised that the N.T.hasnt tried to exclude us anglers.I am kind of hoping that the new I.F.C.A team will at least give us some input into the way we are controlled in the future.Tight Lines cadius.

chav professor

Reaction score
Hi there Chav Professor,i totally agree with what you have said.I love to fish the beaches at Felixstowe,also enjoyed many a good session on the pier.It does make me wonder about the rules set up for protecting old buildings.If your house was in a bad state of repair the powers that be would make you repair it wouldn't they.so why not the piers.At least you are still able to fish the beaches,i think when they have finished at Clacton/Holland on Sea,i think you will have a Frinton Wall scenario.Good luck with the dirty wall i love that place too,but the walk can be a killer,shame the National trust have hold of the reigns??More power influence,a little surprised that the N.T.hasnt tried to exclude us anglers.I am kind of hoping that the new I.F.C.A team will at least give us some input into the way we are controlled in the future.Tight Lines cadius.

Got 'told' off for making the long walk towards the radar tower along the berm/gravel track. I wouldn't mind, we were simply walking - but this guy drove up in a great big landrover!!! They had difficult access - some idiot glued up the lock with super glue a few tides later.........

rubio

Reaction score
Positive action on a personal level.
I would be proud to think it was me but not on this occasion.
Can Shotley pier be added to the list please?
Can bait digging below average high tide level be stopped legally?

cadius

Reaction score
Hi there Rubio only just noticed our post sorry As far as i am aware at the moment you are still legally able to collect bait and fish from the foreshore,even if the foreshore is leased by the Crown Estates to say the local councilor a yatch Club .The only other places you may be in trouble is a Several Fishery or somewhere that the Crown does not own.But beware in the pipeline are the Marine Conservation zones,these are controlled by yet another Government department,Natural England.(who were English Nature).who direct recomendations to the government who are called D.F.R.A who have given the task of policing for want of a better word to the I.F.C.A teams,who can in fact put in hard Bye Laws to achieve control.So if you spot a Reference area public consultation about to happen please make sure you find out where it is and if you don't agree to the area protest and get as many of your mates to do the same,Confused if your not i blinkin well am i think they set out to confuse us just so we wont protest.
Regards Cadius.

rubio

Reaction score
Thanks for your very full and informative reply. No apology for tardiness needed, I am notriously slow in many aspects of life in general.
Think I understand your summary best tho. If I'm right I would be swapping a digging backache for a bureacratic headache.
Not done much sea fishing of late anyway, but with holiday time close I might change that.
Good luck with your own efforts