A proper fishing car?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a diesel, auto estate, pref 4 x4 which has very good mpg and is roomy enough to take 12ft rods etc. It also has to be affordable as I can only afford second hand.

What do you reckon?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Geoff,
The only car I can think of that covers your criteria is a Subaru (can't remember the model) my mate had one and it was a really nice car and being 4X4 made a superb anglers car and as I remember he got about 40 mpg and it was as tough as old boots!

PS: I think it was the Gallant but I'm not sure.

Windy

Reaction score
Subaru Forester perhaps,

/\ What he said, quoted for truth.

Gallant is a Mitsubishi, worth a look at, as is the Mitsubishi Lancer. Just be aware that many of the latter are grey imports, which can mean some parts problems and higher insurance.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'd ask myself just how important is 4x4? I've never had 4x4 yet despite driving off road for 30 years only got stuck once, and that was on a soft field that was frozen at the start of the day but thawed out. Once you take 4x4 out of the equation then fuel consumption improves vastly. The next question is will a s/h diesel run into maintenance problems? Dual Mass Flywheel and particulate filters both can be very costly to fix. S/h Primeras are cheap and reliable. My fishing car is a 1998 petrol 1.6 that does 38mpg around town and 40mpg on a run yet takes all the gear now problem.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I recently bought somewhere which entails driving through fields and getting stuck is a definite probability. It's already happened :)

nicepix

Reaction score
I've had a Forester auto - brilliant car, but not diesel and not good on fuel. 28mpg on unleaded. Perhaps VAG might offer a solution? There are 4WD Passats and Audis in diesel auto flavour. Other than that it will be a big Jap 4X4 and they aren't good on fuel either.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
/\ What he said, quoted for truth.

Gallant is a Mitsubishi, worth a look at, as is the Mitsubishi Lancer. Just be aware that many of the latter are grey imports, which can mean some parts problems and higher insurance.

Sorry chaps, it was a Mitsubishi Gallant I was thinking of, don't know where I got Subaru from, but still good cars! Anythings better than a Toyota Yaris for carrying fishing gear...total nightmare...lol!!

nicepix

Reaction score
I forgot about the Volvo V70 AWD. Great cars and they come in diesel auto versions. Trouble is they usually have starship mileages on them.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
I have a Hyundai Santa Fe. Up to 50mpg, long enough for me to stretch out and sleep in the back, 4wd on demand, 7 seats, air con, automatic everything, 5 year warranty.
It tows and launches the boat really well and it handles mud and snow ok.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A proper fishing car?
Are you suggesting you must have a Proper fishing car because you only do proper fishing ..... Tell me tomorrow...lmbo

Windy

Reaction score
..Volvo V70 AWD. Trouble is they usually have starship mileages on them.

If it has high mileage and its white then that may be a good thing, it may be a bad thing.

There's a very good chance that it's ex police force. To identify an ex rozzers motor look very carefully for little holes and the self tapping screw marks that are left all over the place by the fixings for police radar, equipment, radios etc.

Why is this good / bad ?

There are two types of rozzers volvos (and other cars generally).

Every day motors doing every day A and B road **** around the housing estates day in and day out, + huge mileage. Shagged. Avoid.

But.... every tenth one is a special. Fitted out with engine tuning enhancements, higher rated springs, better quality shock absorbers, bigger than standard brakes, all sort of trick little bits all over the place. All of which have then been maintained to the highest standard and replaced frequently and often, always before the manufacturer's recommended mileages for replacement. And almost all of their mileage done on the motorways at steady state speeds, where, as we all know, almost no engine wear results.

Same huge mileage, but effectively almost only just run in in terms of engine and gearbox wear, and a fantastically good buy.

Why the difference ?

Every day motor = every day fat arsed cops and shagged out car maintained as cheap as the local authority budget can manage.

Special motor = high speed armed response units, motorway airport periphery armed patrol cops and armed diplomatic / close quarters personal and royal protection officers, all maintained for maximum effectiveness and efficiency out of central government's much deeper pockets.

So off you go, now you know. Only one problem, being able to sort out the sheep from the goats.... and finding the few and rare auctions where they sell the specials. If you know someone in the know then bite their arm off for a hint !

Now

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Back to original topic, it's hard to beat a Mondeo Diesel Estate car.

As Jeremy Clarkson pointed out when the Mongol wiped the floor with the competition in a car comparison test, including handling, cost and feel, but still lost out to the more expensive but less capable and efficient BMW, Saab and Audi equivalents, it's all about the badge and fashion perception.

But for cheap and effective miles upon reliable miles + cheap spare parts prices (build a million and the unit cost of everything goes down) they are hard to beat.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have a look at the Skoda's Geoff.
I've not got a 4x4, but they do them, and cheaper than the Forester's.
My latest trip in my 1.9 tdi, averaged 60 plus mpg down to southern Brittany and back.Now clocked up 140000 miles.

A 4x4 will not get that mpg though

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Fred Bonney said:
Have a look at the Skoda's Geoff.
I've not got a 4x4, but they do them, and cheaper than the Forester's.
My latest trip in my 1.9 tdi, averaged 60 plus mpg down to southern Brittany and back.Now clocked up 140000 miles.

A 4x4 will not get that mpg though

They are supposed to be good, a 4x4 octavia diesel estate will start at about £6k. I'd buy one. Honda crv diesels are quite economical too.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I'd ask myself just how important is 4x4? I've never had 4x4 yet despite driving off road for 30 years only got stuck once, and that was on a soft field that was frozen at the start of the day but thawed out. Once you take 4x4 out of the equation then fuel consumption improves vastly. The next question is will a s/h diesel run into maintenance problems? Dual Mass Flywheel and particulate filters both can be very costly to fix. S/h Primeras are cheap and reliable. My fishing car is a 1998 petrol 1.6 that does 38mpg around town and 40mpg on a run yet takes all the gear now problem.

Same as above, except I got stuck twice.

Don't get a BMW - they are rubbish in snow, ice, rain unless a 4x4.

My fishing car is a 1.9tdi Astra - it's done 124,000 miles and does less than 2000 revs/sec at 80 mph; therefore very economical.

the wise one

Reaction score

There is off road, and there is off road Mark.

Farm tracks and dewy fields are one thing, but once you start going to some of the places I go to, in some of the conditions I've been out in, trust me, you need 4x4 (and the correct tyres) to cope with such terrain.

The things we do to catch a few fish:eek:

T.W.O

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
You're right but it's a fact that 95% of 4x4 are never driven off road. And in Geoff's case it might be that two lorry loads of hard core (builder's rubble) and some effort might be cheaper than the much greater running costs of a 4x4. One farmer I know encouraged a couple of builders to let him have the rubble for free (it would cost them landfill) and he built his tracks over the years just by his efforts.

One other thing I found years ago was that 2wd varies according to the diff. I had a Mk2 Astra GTE which had loads of grunt and you'd think it uncontrollable on mud but the diff had some limitation on its slippage and I drove it on very slippery fields in soft mud and never got stuck once. The car I had next a 2L Primera was hopeless as the diff slipped all the time hence one spinning wheel and no traction. Some modern 2wd have programmable limited slip diffs and these won't have a problem either.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't part with my Range Rover Vogue 4x4 4.6l

It copes with all off road conditions but it is a thirsty little beggar at 18.1 m.p.g.

Its never let me down yet . . . . .