woldale and wood pool

creaking cane

Reaction score
hi all from fm can anyone tell me if woldale and/or wood pool are still about. asjust very interested for a possible project in the pipeline thankyou.

The Monk

Reaction score
not sure creaky, I have BB books, wasnt wood pool beachmere mate?

Woldale was Fred Js water thouigh, I think thats still around

creaking cane

Reaction score
thanks i think so .very limited infoi cant find any thing i would love to see them, when i went to redmire i was so choked up with that strange atmospherethat redmirehas, that i just needed to find all these old famous haunts .

keora

Reaction score
I believe Woldale lake is somewhere in Lincolnshire, perhaps near Louth. There's a photo of it in the second edition of Richard Walker's "Stillwater Angling".

If Wood Pool is Beechmere then it still exists, as I remember reading an article byan angler who fished it about 10 years ago. He mentioned its connection with BB's "Confessions of a carp fisher". I understand it's in Devon.

The Monk

Reaction score
ah yes, I think I remeber, beechmere was in confessions, wood pool is a different lake

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Woldale ? I thought he was just a bloke who posted on here a bit.... got a whole Dale named after him ???? Blimey.

More seriously, which BB books, what's the titles ? I have read some over the years but would like toread some more. Plus also anyone with any books by G. P. R. Balfour Kinnear - dying to read Torridge Fishery if I can ever lay my hands.

M

mark norris (ACA)

Woldale gets a big mention in the Walker/Ingham drop me a line

M

mark norris (ACA)

Wood pool is, according to the forward in BB`s book is somewhere in Northampton.

The copy I have is the Medlar press version and includes a map of the water,but not it`s location

The Monk

Reaction score
Medlar have reissued most of the early stuff

http://www.medlarpress.com/index.php?if=list&pc=2&page=3

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

'The Little Grey Men....' God I read and re-read that book when I was five or six, over and over. And 'Down the Bright Stream'.

Looking back those books may well be what sparked my fascination with water, rivers and fishing (ina family with nary a fisherman ever before).

creaking cane

Reaction score
THIS IS WHAT FISING IS ALL ABOUT FOR ME ,AS THERE IS STILL SOMEOLD SECRET LAKES THAT COULD TAKE U BACK TO A MORE SIMPLE TIME IN ARE FISHING LIFE . IM GLAD THERE IS STILL SOME MYSTERY LEFT IN ANGLING.

F

Fred Bonney

Woldale Lake (Benniworth Haven)is still there to be seen.

I visited it early in the season hoping to get a view of an angler, but to no avail.

I tried the Casterline Louth, to see if Peter knew who owned it, he wasn't certain, but thought Rod Hutchinson had some involvement in it.

It's big old estate lake,stream fed and set in woodland, it doesn't look very deep, and is quite weeded,there were no signs of fish, and come to that none of water fowl either!

F

Fred Bonney

I wasn't on my own, the Boss wasbreathing down my kneck and, that's always a strange atmosphere!

Gary Bills

Reaction score
I understand that the big Woldale fish fell back in size quickly after the capture of Ingram's famous seventeen, and that fish lice were a problem - but a stock of smaller, mainly commons still existed into the Seventies at least- I wonder how large they are now, if they are still there? Sends a shiver down me spine it does...! Woldale is pure history and it's always fine to breathe the atmosphere of pure carping history. I'd absolutely love to fish it...