The Fox Guide to Lure Fishing

Reaction score
A pretty comprehensive review Woody. I too won't be buying the DVD.

I went lure fishing for pike for he first time last weekend and need some tips.

Are there any DVDs or books that you would recommend?

C

Cakey

"The Woodhouse Lure Guide" is quiet good available at woodywoody.co.uk

W

Wolfman Woody

If you want a really good video, the best ever on lure fishing (IMO) is
51S92EVQXHL._SS500_.jpg

Many places list it as being unavailable, so keep your eyes peeled.

Barrie sets out to have fun with lures, not to catch monsters. He lifts fish from the most unlikely of places and recommends a range of lures that are NOT from Shakespeare's own catalogues, strangely enough.

It's educational, entertaining, and encouraging because he fishes different waters any one of which you will have soemthing similar close to your home.

Complaints - it's a little dated perhaps and when you do find it, it costs around £16 - on tape.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't forget the first.

Or Part Deux.

BTW, Cakey, there is no longer a Woodywoody.co.uk. The site got invaded by some person or persons trying to match blokes with fat lady russion tractor drivers. I took it down.

Y

yoggy

Very much like yourself Woody I to ama Fox fan having tested out loads of lures and rods. But I agree this DVD, although I did enjoy parts could have been a whole lot better. Instead of actually fishing, more time should have been spent showing in detail various Lures,rods,braidetc... and how to use them correctly.

C

Cakey

thats a shame Woody

Ive just got hold of Barry Rickards "Success with Pike"

halfway through at the mo superb read

and for a quid !

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

I agree with Barrie's video...best one for lures. He uses an expensive lure box...plastic bucket.../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

M

MarkTheSpark

I was also appalled at both Mick and Dave putting the lure's hook through the bottom rod ring to secure the lure rather than using the keeper ring. That is a <u>VERY BIG NO, NO!</u>

Why is that Jeff? Line damage?

The Monk

Reaction score
yeah we use to do that sort of thing in the old days and damage eye, damage line and hench lose fish, that was the idea of having a keeper ring, why not use it if you have one ?

W

Wolfman Woody

The big problem with attaching a lure in particular to a butt ring is that when you move along to find another swim, you can have a rather heavy lure swinging around and wearing or cracking the ring's liner where the hooks meets it. Considering the line slap on the but ring, especially with fixed spool reels, there can be all manner of problems on the line and again, it's worst with braid.

Some may have got away with it, but it's damn bad practice. Hence I have invented my own keep ring (full details when Graham puts up one of my articles) that actually helps keep the lure away from the rod as well. Thereby stopping it damaging the rod's finish, hopefully.

C

Cakey

the keeper rings on my pike rods are to near the handles and makesthem dangerous to use.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Thank you Graham. Won't forget your 10% commission as promised.

I'm taking orders now for an Easter delivery!

G

Gary Knowles

"Thereby stopping it damaging the rod's finish, hopefully"

I had to laugh at that Woody..you are right of course..but I'm thinking of my rods.

From new the bag gets dropped in a drawer somewhere in the garage then never sees the light of day again. My rods are made up all the time (especially lure rods and pike boat rods) and get absolutely battered, against each other, the boat, the car, the ground...everything....you could beat one of my rods with a bulldawg for a week and not make ithe finish on it any worse...

G

Gary Knowles

On a serious note though, I havent seen the video but I have fished with Dave a couple of times and learned a huge amount from him about lure angling...

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I have a draw full of rod bags too Gary.........my rods will never make a Tackle tarts convention either /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I never had any damage to my rings carring big spoons like that.....but that was the original fujis....i acknowledge the new ultra hard rings are also allegedelly ultra brittle, in fact i will stick to standard fujis on all my rods given the choice.