easy way to sort out your maggots

nicky

Reaction score
If you come home from fishing in the rain or your maggots have started to sweat and you dont have any maize meal etc an easy way to dry them off and rejuvinate them is to move them to a larger pot say a bait bucket with breathing holes and place a couple of weetabix in with them leave them overnight and they should be in good condition the following day.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

And if you pop the weetabix in the oven gas mark 3 for 7mins they are as good as new and breakfast is served. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
If you don't want to throw your maggots away, but don't want to save them either, put them in old plastic cartons, fridge them, and after a couple of days, give them to the kids as Mueller Rice, problem solved, kids happy, and save on housekeeping...........result!!!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

and they taste better than Mueller Rice

Trisantona

Reaction score
Reminds me of when i took a mates Greyhounds for a walk,stood talking to an angler and one of the dogs scoffed about a pint of maggots in one gulp,said mate asked me next day if i would take his greyhound to the vets as it had got some strange kind of worms.!!!!!!!

D

Digger

I do something similar but use three shredded wheat, keeps the maggots wrigling for weeks./forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Many moons ago we used crushed up weetabix in our plain crumb groundbait, the bream and tench loved it.

Maggots are 100% protein so it wouldn't be a bad choice for kids, I know for a fact that SAS are taught to eat it and one even nicked half a pint of mine whilst fishing in Herefordshire on the pretext of using them to catch fish for food because he was on an endurance exercise. He promptly scoffed the lot in front of meand suddenly thefishing wasn't quite as good as before his visit!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

my very small jack russel has a liking for hemp.....i found out when she ate a pint and half!!

It came out much the same as it went in, for two days!!!

nicky

Reaction score
Dont know but dont think so it's the fact that the weetabix is so dry it just absorbs any moisture

nicky

Reaction score
i used to crumle the weetabix up which i suppose was like using bran and it worked a treat if you were using them the next day (i think the weetabix was an attractant on its own) but i found it would go abit manky after a few days i've now discovered that if you use the weetabix whole it does the same job but without adding anything to the maggots apart from a nice smell of weetabix