I'm off to Ireland in May

R

Ron Clay

I'm off on an Irish fishing holiday in May under the auspices of Angling World Holidays.

This is my first trip since 1967 and I'm really looking forward to it. Have any of you fished in this area? I would love to catch a few big rudd.

M

Michael Hall

Hi Ron,
I wish I was but I`ve my GCSE's at that time, however I`m going next year to either the Grand/royal canal south of Ireland or athlone in the mid shannon area.
I was going to go to Athlone in Sept of this year but its our last family holiday and I had to make a comprimise with my parents!!
But I`m sure that it will be a great hol for you!
I went about 4-5 years ago, and I loved it!
I cant wait till next year!

M

Malcolm Bason

"I would love to catch a few big rudd." Good luck Ron, I hope you have a good time - you never know you may catch a few decent carp if you choose the right waters too!! LOL

K

Keith Miller

Know the area well. The string of small lakes on the road to Newtowngore would be your best bet. Drumlonan perhaps the best for rudd, or Bolganard, which has some large bream too. I would be looking about 60 miles south if I were after a big rudd. I can give you more info if you care to mail me.

R

Robert Woods

I used to go to Balinamore a lot in the 80's for three fortnights at a time.I stayed at Eileen Breen's place "Sui Mhuire".We mainly fished the smaller lakes,try Dromore,Alwaddy or any of the tench lakes.Don't forget a visit to the local shops...sorry-pubs.

R

Robert Woods

Sorry...I ment three times a year.I must have Guinness withdrawal symtoms.

R

Ron Clay

Many thanks for the comments guys. The whole idea of my holiday is to have a complete break. Plenty of relaxation, a few fish and maybe a Guinness or three.

The lakes in the area look very attractive. I am told there are water near there where the tench get to 8 lbs. What is dissappointing is the amount of roach in Irish waters now, to the obvious detrement of the rudd.

When I fished regularly on the Inner Lakes of Lough Ree, Coosan, Ballykeeran and Killinure in the 60s, we used to catch dozens of ruud over 2 lbs. I remember watching Dave Cumpstone (anyone remember him? He caught Mary twice) pull out about 40 rudd in the two pound bracket on a bare gilt hook.

Old Fred Carter of Garnafailagh House used to catch rudd on the fly rod - big ones too up to 3 lbs. What absolutely gorgeous fish those Irish rudd were.

Our main target fish were the tench. And these were the days when a 5 pounder was a monster. We caught lots of tench over 5 lbs. My best was 5lb 14oz. Ray Webb had a few sixes from these waters as did Steve Crawshaw and John Weston.

But these were the pioneer days of Irish specimen hunting, memories that will stay with me until I die.

I know that Graham has visited the Inner lakes of Lough Ree recently. How about a few words from you about your experiences.

G

Gary Knowles

Ron,

I fished at Ballinmore about 5 years ago, coincidently also in May. There is a small, clear river, all gravel ans streamer weed just South of the town. And in May its stuffed with roach moving upstream out of the lakes to spawn. I think its called the suck but I'm not too sure, you can't miss it you pass over it on a small road bridge just before you enter the town. Fishing just above this bridge with a stick float I took 60lb catches of 4-12oz roach in short 3 hour evening sessions. Absolutely brilliant stuff, so much nicer than winding slabs in on the 'plastic pig'

There are a couple of really heavilly weeded and stunningly beautiful tench lakes (pools) nearby where we took previously uncaught fish between 4-6lb on corn and bread, unfortunately I cant remeber the names of these small lakes but the landlord of the pub (opposite the tackle shop on the high street) put us on them and I'm sure, over a pint or ten of the black stuff he'll do the same for you.

Have fun mate.

Cheers

Gary

M

Mike Fidler

Ron, I'm probally going over next month but I'm not sure if i'll be fishing or not. Bolganarde for the Tench and Rudd. Garradice for the best days roach fishing on the long range waggler you will ever have.

K

Keith Miller

Gary, the Suck is much further south and enters the Shannon at Shannonbridge. River south of town would be the canal or Woodford river. I am told that the marina in town fishes well for roach.
However going north from town to Enniskillen and taking a right fork to Bawnboy will lead you to a bridge crossing the Blackwater, which is where, downstream and on the first bend I took my best ever roach catch of 138lbs.
Robert mentions Awaddy, a small lake near Balliinamore, this is a very dark peat lake and contains what I call black rudd, as they are so dark in colour. Also has bream and tench.

D

Dave Johnson

Gary mentioned the Suck, I fished this at Ballinasloe, west of Athlone when I went to a wedding out there-huge pike evrrywhere!!!!. bloody great wedding, took over a week and i had to phone me dad for a bank advance after getting hooked on the guiness......
Great river, remember baiting a peg up with 50lb of crumb ...only to find it was about 60 feet deep and our bait was miles downstream!!!!!!
Fished Shannonbridge, what a place, apart from the German pike trollers:eek:(
and a great pub/shop/tackle shop called Killeeens at Shannon bridge-featured in Matt Hayes programme a while ago.
Wonderful plce, happy memories sort off... even the inland canals are stuffed full of fish and never fished....
place to retire to....if they had barbel.....

K

Keith Miller

The Lea, down near Cork, has always struck me as ideal for barbel, although the salmon anglers might not be so keen. But this brings us back to introducing species to Ireland. Best just to speculate!

F

Fergal Scully

Although I've never fished this area in Ireland if I wanted to catch a huge rudd it would be Tulsk near strokestown in county roscommon. See this link for info
http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/tulsk-coarse.htm. There is alot of small clear loughs here with Rudd over 4 pounds. Apparently they require a lot of work to catch these shy fish. Best of luck.

R

Ron Clay

Thanks Fergal. I don't mind a bit of work. Are the lakes approachable form the shore, or do you need a boat?

G

Gary Knowles

Keith,

you are right of course, it was the woodford river.

F

Fergal Scully

Lough Conny has fishing stands so it is accessable from the shore. It currently holds the Irish record for rudd which was caught in 1996.
This is info I've got from the fishery board web site.
The best bet would be to use the contact list on the web link i gave above. These people can tell you about access to the lakes and if there is any boats available for hire. I know the area is not heavily fished at all except by local trout and pike anglers so you could turn up some nice surprises. I'm in new zealand at the moment but I've always meant to fish this area myself. One day I will. Make sure you let us know how you get on with your holiday. Maybe an article if you crack those big rudd would be good. Look out for the big wild brown trout that sometimes show up in this system aswell.

M

Mark Frame

I was out there last year and had a nine pound bream and lost a couple more big ones best bream fight ive ever had it even took line