Slowly becoming a convert.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
One of the benefits of being off work (dis-located shoulder) for a while is being able to watch plenty of fishing programmes on the old satelite channels.

I`m not the greatest fan of sea fishing and have only had one go at wreck fishing as a child with my dad and one beach session about 15 or so years ago.

I do enjoy watching that henry gilbey chappie-wild fishing and fishing on the edge especially when him and his comrades are fishing from rocky shorelines and jumping up and down large boulders in search of fishing marks and their quarry.

I think wrasse are to die for.....what a beautiful looking fish,especially the ones i have seen with the pale blue colouring on the insides of their lips and mouths.They remind me of a tropical species of fish i used to keep called "oscars",such stunning and vivd colours.

Despite having no sea tackle what so ever,i`m determined to have a go someday at this rock hopping style of fishing,especially for wrasse.

I`d love to hear of any experiences,helpful tips and advice anyone might have regarding this branch of sea fishing.

alan

Reaction score
a float fished crab or limpit down the side of a pier or rocks will find the wrasse. hard fighting little buggers, they take the bait and head into the snaggs, once in you wont get them out again.

depending on the area a carp rod would work. if its to snaggy, or weedy a light beach caster.

ive caught a few wrasse, and as you say they are a lovely fish to look at. just avoid the mouth, their teeth look like ours and can give a nice nip. again depending on your area and which type of wrasse depends on their colours, but ive never seen a "plain" one.

pollock, bass, and most other fish can be caught the same way.

only bit of advise i can really give is. make sure you know the area you are fishing, and the time and state of tides. the tide can come in behind and it will cut you off, dont go alone and wear a buoyancy aid. getting cut off is scarey, very scarey.

Henry is a great bloke, what you see in his programs tends to be him. a guy who is passionate about sea fishing and gives great advice to anyone who asks. he just needs to make more programs.

Colin Kerr

Reaction score
I have had some bumper days wrasse fishing on the west coast of Scotland. One of my favourite summer targets.

4 methods I use are

1 Light Float Fishing

Using a carp rod 12 lb line fixed spoll reel and a 1 oz slider float.

Bait ragworm or small crab. Vary your hook size from a size 4 to a 1/0

Carefully set your float height above the rocks and kelp. Use a weaker hooklink. Thread worm up the hook and nip off any straggly bits. Wrasse are superb bait robbers. You wll miss loads of fish. This is good for fish to 2 1/2 lbs.

2 Heavy Float Fishing.

For bigger fish a strong beachcaster 30lb mainline 3 oz float and 15 20 lb hooklink with a 1 to 2/0 strong hook.

again ragworm or 50p size crabs hooked through the back

Light legering

Back to carp rod braid and very basic cheap as you can mak 2 hook rig with 1 oz weight size 4 hook and small pieces of rag. Pop around the area you are fishing. If no bite in a couple of mins reel in an move 1ft away. keep hunting around. You will lose plenty of gear this way but its great fun

Heavy ledgering

Stiff beachcaster 35lb line on heavy multi. Single hook rig 2/0 3/0 huge bunch of rag elasticated together or a big peeler crab elasticated on. Rotton bottem on the rig 4-5oz weight lob out and wait.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/silverlure/DSCF00091.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/silverlure/DSCF00191.jpg

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Does anyone run any guided trips doing this sort of thing???

Would my spinning gear be any good for mackerel,wrasse or small pollack....7ft long,casting lures 10-30grams,40lbs braid???