Salter defends Labour's record on angling

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Mmmmmmmm!

Ok so how does labour plan on managing the water requirements that will be needed to sustain the 70 million population it requires?

I have asked Gordon Brown via email but he has decilned to answer

Personaly I think labour have been a poor show...But they have got more people fishing that a cert!

More Poles, Lithuanians, Kurds and Afganis that is for certain!

Welldone...Not!

Trisantona

Reaction score
Nottingham council is NEW Labour and they still impose a close season on all their waters !!!!

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
I know we often blame European immigration for many of the negatives in UK coarse fishing, but education is the answer not these kinds of comments. This country has been built on immegration over the centuries. I'm sorry but comments such as these carry a hint of racism and cannot do the cause of angling any favours.

C

Clive Evans 1

Nah. The fisherman's friend is a hot little number that enjoys cross-party political acceptance. /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

CAT

Reaction score
Labour have been taking the Piss out of the country for so long now i bet there gonna recycle it all and use that!

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Lee I complained to Hilary Benn about water leaks and the length of time it was taking United Utilities to fix them (over a month) Pointing out the impact that has (1000s of leaks left running for such time) on reservoirs levelsand river systems through extraction. Usually bolloxs answered by DEFRA on his behalf.

They fail to see the significance of a rising population for whatever reason and increased usage of water as being a large Elephant in the room scenario. And He's the Environment Minister!

Reaction score
I cannot recall any Conservative or Liberal Democratic MP ever being so "high profile" in supporting angling, particularly coarse fishing, than Martin Salter. Although the proactive stance of one Labour MP evidently cannot drive a government in that direction. The impact of the reprioritisation of funding following the floods is a very serious issue in terms of the capacity of the Environment Agency.

In the interest of balance I will acknowledge that the economic policies ot the 1979 - 1990 Thatcher Governments (decimating manufacturing industry, primary production capacity, and enabling over 3 million people to have significantly more leisure time) did have a positive impact on river angling - far cleaner rivers with no factories around to pollute.

I'm not sure she meant it though!!

The expansion of house building programmes would be a necessity even if nobody entered our country. Despite the subsequent net loss of population the social profile of our country has changed so significantly - more singles, divorced etc etc we will need more houses. All parties agree with this, all parties have similar proposals - some of the greatest housing expansion already in progress is in Kent, this has local planning support from the staunchly Conservative county council. Have no illusions that a change of government would lead to any significant changes in policies.

It is evident that water supply is not fully considered when building is started. Indeed given the amount of building on flood plains water over supply isn't a feature of deep thought!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Salter, like the labour party, is or isn't the anglers friend depending on your view, they are as much your friend as they were the hunt fraternity's friend until they changed their mind and then they weren't.

NEVER EVER TRUST A POLITICIAN they would break that trust at the drop of a hat and think nothing of it, that is why they are politicians. Loyal? Trustworthy? Truthful? They don't even know the meaning of the words.

Deanos

Reaction score
Personally, I think that Slater is a brilliant bloke, mainly because he looks like one of the old "Doctor Who's" with the curly hair and stuff!.

I haven't watched the show for years a I hide behind the sofa when its on, so if anybody has the last twenty years recorded or owt, I would not mind the tapes, or could come round to your house and have me tea and watch them with you!

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I see the race card is being played again Peter.

Some of my best freinds, that I've known for 30 years, parents are imigrants. They are fantastic people and families who have worked hard and made our country great along with countless other imigrants. But the fact is, at this moment in time, our country is far too over populated. We can't let any more people in no matter what colour, religion ect because our recources, especialy water, will run out

What is racist about that?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
A hint of Racism Peter?

From me?

You are seriously wrong, I never hint at anything matey!

If I want to be as you would say " Racist" then I will be "Racist"....Because I do not answer to anyone.

Yes this country has been built on waves of immigration ( but the modern world in which we live has also been built on British emmigration and colonialisation...We are a superior race...Like it or not that is a fact...What have the British ever done for the world?)but what we have witnessed over the last ten years has been a Tsunami of immigration!

If we are to sustain current rises in population where will they live? what will they eat? where will they go when they are sick? Who will pay them to stay at home and have lots of babies ( the fecundity of immigrants is far higher than the British nationals?) Who will pay for them to stay at home and build bombs? Who loses their national identity while every other culture flaunts their thing?

We have dilluted what we are!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
AND THAT ISN'T BEING RACIST...ITS CALLED SPEAKING ONES OWN OPINION IN REGARDS TO TODAYS SOCIAL CLIMATE!

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Goodday Lee, how are you?

Yes as my dad said to me last week "I'm ashamed my generation is cocking up all the hard work done during and after the second world war"

This government has lied about numbers of people coming here to live untill all of a sudden there's a major crisis around the corner. It could be a shortage of homes, medical care, food, water or all of those.

The next political party that has the balls to say enough is enough will get my vote. The thing is though there are millions of wasters (British) who should be doing the jobs that imigrants are doing, but can't be bothered so stay on benefits. That's a lot of votes for a political party to lose.

I'm all for imigrants if we can send the wasters the other way.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Good to see Lee back on form.

There has to be debate on the issue of immigration by the main parites for the reasons put forward by Mike above.If they sidestep the issue for fear of being accused of playing the race card then the only beneficiaries will be the far right.Why leave them to set the terms of any deabte on their own?

A proper political system has to be prepared to engage with the concerns of those that make it up or it is failing in its purpose.

I'll leave it here as it is off topic, partly, and I do not want to get into bother with the boss again!

JimmyFloyd

Reaction score
On any issue that you care to raise you are unlikely to get a high level response bywriting directly to a Government Minister or the PM, unless you happen to live in their constituency. They receiveliterally dozensof letters everyday from private citizens on a whole range of topics from sensible suggestions and requests for information, to raving lunacy and people anonymously grassing up their neighbours for all sorts of perceived infringements.

The best way to get an answer out of them is to write to, or meet with, your local MP and ask them to raise the issue with the relevant Minister or the PM. They are obliged to forward your correspondence with at least a covering letter and you should receive a reply either from the Minister themselves or at the very least from the head of a Government Agency. If you are still unhappy you can ask your MP to table a Parliamentary Question.

You can alsorequest information directly from Government Departments using the FreedomOfInformation Act or the Environmental Information Regulations- EIRs oblige Government Departments to release any environment related information to the public on request (although their are some exemptions).

Theseare the most effective ways to really make them work for you -you may not achieve what you wantbut they are obliged to at leastanswer you if you use the methods above.

If these don't work then contact the Parliamentary Ombudsman and make a complaint - the last thing Ministers andCivil Servants want is the Ombudsman sniffing around!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

NEVER EVER TRUST A POLITICIAN they would break that trust at the drop of a hat and think nothing of it, that is why they are politicians. Loyal? Trustworthy? Truthful? They don't even know the meaning of the words.

Take it from me Graham, they are no different to some anglers I could mention. We are all 'human', and that's the problem.

My previous MP would do whatever he could whenever I approached him; the present incumbent, although of the same party, is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.