My first bivvy - advice needed!!

N

NATHAN BALL

I have never owned a bivvy before but as i'm starting to get more serious about my fishing I figured it's about time i got one. I dont want to spend a huge amount on what is, as far as i can tell, just a tent! I've been looking at the JRC continental & the Nash Hooligan, both in the 2-Man (for when the girlfriend comes along) but i wasn't sure just what i'd be getting for my moneyor whetherthese wereactually any good.I wouldn't be using it every week either, to be fair it would probably only get an airing once a month.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

R

Roto Fryer 1

don't buy anything from Nash vastly overpriced and terrible after sales service. i have an aqua armadillo in the two man. very expensive but superb, however, its too big for many swims.

i bought a continental byhutchy???once for 150 squid, it was a pain to put up and lasted about 10 sessions before ripping at the pole inserts

N

NATHAN BALL

Thanks 'Roto'!!

That's a great price for the JRC bivvy! My only concern is that I haven't seen a review of it yet. Although for that price I may just go and get one to see for myself.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

R

Roto Fryer 1

whats your budget? we will then be able to give you spot on advice. its then up to you to go with what you are comfortable with

R

Roto Fryer 1

JRC STI 2 Man Twin Skin is 159 from the same place and is a much better bivvy
sti2_twin_skin-vwd.jpg

N

NATHAN BALL

I want to try and keep it below £160-which makes the STi perfect. It looks the part as well.

Thanks for the advice Roto. I have no idea about the bivvies so a bit of help will go a long way....all i need to do now is catch some fish!! lol

-----<*)))))><

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Nathan my one piece of advice would be stay away from the type of bivvy above if you are after catching some fish rather than camping,they don't fit in alot of swims as Roto states especially the two man thingy me bobs and they are a pain to put up and put back plus they weigh a ton ,get yourself a brolly system there might not be room for the misses but hey we can't have everything can we,they are a doddle to put up and take down and they fit in a little quiver so are easy to carry.

N

NATHAN BALL

To be fair, i had thought of lookinginto abrolly system but i didn't think it would bebig enough or offer a huge amount of protection from the elements. I also wondered where i'd fir all my gear!lol

Like i said, i have no idea about these things so let me know what you think.

Reaction score
I also don't have a bivvy.

If I go camping I sleep in a tent.

How come anglers don't just use a two man dome tent.

Small, light and easy to put up. Also usually a fraction of the price.

Having not used a bivvy am I missing something obvious here?

N

NATHAN BALL

I thought that but I think the fishing 'tent's are made with a higher quality waterproof fabric. There's different kinds of waterproofing and the cheap tents will only keep you dry if its drizzling - anything more and your in trouble!! I assume the pole joints & stiching etc is at a higher standard as well. I still don't think they're worth the money though, but then again, anglers are always getting ripped off.

Nothing new there then!!

R

Roto Fryer 1

if i go nowdays i use a brolly, however, if the missus came i used the dillo. it can be camping rather than fishing but there you go

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Tents are for camping, Bivvys are for fishing overnight. Either a decent brolley system or a pram hood style bivyy will do the trick, I use a Nash ground hog for my brolley system, just overnight or 2, and if im going for a week then i use the Nash bivvy, All Nash 1 mans are a 1 and a half man size, so plenty of room and can fit most swims. JRC look ok, but then so do the the Trackers, also have a look at the Ventura razor backs, they have a good write up.

N

Nathan Ball

Ok so looking at brolly systems... is there any particular makes that stand out or are they all pretty much the same?

R

Roto Fryer 1

thisis top of the range and this is what i havethere are others but i can't help you. i doubt that there is anything that thompsons weatherseal can't cure.

i have been out in my brolly in the most severe weather and never had a problem. there is not the space of a bivvy but there is enough to lay on your bed and have your things around you. i do not have a fill in either. a good chair and bag + a small bivvy table and you are away. the rest of my gear lives in my quiver, 1 bag or plastic buckets.

its the radio, my light, remote, telephone, scissorson the table. rig wallet + weights under the table. cooker, kettle, bag, and empty quiver under the bed. bait in sealed buckets, water,and my carp trolly just outside. at least thats the theory lol

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
If you contact Walkers of Trowell , ask for Steve, they had a Nash Ground Hog in stock which was a original english one ( they are made in China now, and aint so good) and he was doing it for ?175.00 from ?275. Alot of serious and pro carp lads use these.
www.walkersoftrowell.com

N

Nathan Ball

Thanks for the advice guys.

Much appreciated /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I know its ?25 more than you want to spend, but it'll be worth it, i have 1, and i use a second skin in winter, they are sound. Takes minutes to put up, and they are solid.

R

Roto Fryer 1

don't under any circumstances touch Nash gear. Many shops won't deal with them due to very very bad customer service.

R

Roto Fryer 1

Here at ....... of Luton we carry a large range of carp fishing tackle including: rods, reels, baits, tackle and luggage from premier tackle companies such as Fox, Daiwa, Shimano, Insight, Gardner, Solar, Anling Technics, Korda, ESP and many more for the carp angler............. No Nash