sunrise over Brooky

C

Cakey

took this while walking the dog looking for fish
do these clouds have a name ?

captain carrott

Reaction score
you'll not see many fish looking upwards mate have you tried staring into the water?

C

Cakey

no not tried that......Ill go back and give it ago........................./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Look like Cirrocumulus

Cirrocumulus clouds appear as small, rounded white puffs. The small ripples in the cirrocumulus sometimes resemble the scales of a fish. A sky with cirrocumulus clouds is sometimes referred to as a "mackerel sky."

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Here's a strange cloud :

lenticulaires02.jpg

W

Wolfman Woody

"do these clouds have a name ?"

Probably, amongst other clouds. Colin, Arnold, John's popular, as is Daniel.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I think ED is keeping google ticking over while Rons recuperating.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Ed beat me to it, definitely what is referred to as a Mackerel sky cos of the resemblance to scales.... tho it is very unusual to see one with such a pinky orange background, more often a bluish silvery sky, again like a Mackerel's flank. Any filters Cakey, or all au naturel ?

B

Bully

The colour is simply due to the time of day. At mid day they would have been white on blue...

C

Cakey

that's right Bully

I also think that the sun lights up the under side of the clouds at sunrise and sunset and the pollution layers are thicker at them angles

Keith M

Reaction score
Yep they look like Cirrocumulus which are normally ator above 20,000ft; If they where between 6,000ft and 20,000ft they would be Altocumulus.

Brings back the old days when I used to be a meteorologist in the RN. I just can't remember how to spell them. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif