Fishing a "match"

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I have been invited to a fishing competition by one of our electrical component suppliers at Cob House Fishery in Worcestershire, they are providing 4 pints (yes FOUR pints or eight sessions for me!) of maggots as bait and the pool is described on the website as

Wyatts is stocked with over plenty of fish mainly consisting of our own strain, home bred, hard fighting Common and Mirror Carp from 3oz to over 5lbs, with a few lumps! We also added a small number of roach and bream to 2lbs (yes that includes the roach!) for variety

Having never fished a match (or used a keepnet:confused:) any tips?????

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have been invited to a fishing competition by one of our electrical component suppliers at Cob House Fishery in Worcestershire, they are providing 4 pints (yes FOUR pints or eight sessions for me!) of maggots as bait and the pool is described on the website as

Wyatts is stocked with over plenty of fish mainly consisting of our own strain, home bred, hard fighting Common and Mirror Carp from 3oz to over 5lbs, with a few lumps! We also added a small number of roach and bream to 2lbs (yes that includes the roach!) for variety

Having never fished a match (or used a keepnet:confused:) any tips?????

Don't go;)
Jerry

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Never fished a match myself , but is that all the bait you are allowed and nothing else ? If it is a strict allowance do you need to reserve some for when the margins switch on later ?

I have been watching some prestons innovations videos called winning pegs , Tommy Pickering talks about not feeding to many lines ( easy for him to say as he seems to be a fish magnet ) and dividing your bait into half hour slots so you still have some left at the end.

I would imagine a matchman would have more concrete advice though.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Don't worry about winning or other competitors. Just concentrate on feeding consistently and catching fish. Check the rules beforehand regarding keepnets - may need two nets, and barbless or permitted baits. Just enjoy yourself. Keep it simple.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It's free and a damn site closer than MF. I'm practising with a keepnet ready for barbel fishing on the Severn :D

Only 4 pints? Not giving you much of a chance are they....
Never had one to start with Peter

Check the rules beforehand regarding keepnets
Provided by the fishery Mark, 70lb limit:eek: don't think that will create too many problems apart from working out how to set it up:eek:mg:Still if I can find one of those two pound roach, s*d the competition:w

Never fished a match myself , but is that all the bait you are allowed and nothing else ? If it is a strict allowance do you need to reserve some for when the margins switch on later ?
You can fish your own baits as well as the maggotts they provide. I need a bigger bait box as I'll never use that many, I was taught "little and often" so four pints could last 'til Christmas. More than likely use them as loose feed and fish bread (flake or punched) over the top

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Fished that "match" last Thursday, thirteen of us caught over 1300lb of mainly carp, commons and mirrors, in five hours fishing. I finished in ninth with 65lb, (the winner had a new pb of 207lb!). While the venue has some attractive victorian stock pools which I intend to fish in the future, it is unlikely I would be tempted to fish a match lake again.

If I have ever mocked the level of tackle match fisherman seem to need, I take it all back. The set up and organisation that is required to compete is far greater than my limited capabilities and for those of you who fish two or three matches a week you are almost entitled to call youselves athletes. By the time I got home I could barely raise a can. So that's me and match fishing finished but at least I've still got maggots (soon to be casters) left for this week:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished that "match" last Thursday, thirteen of us caught over 1300lb of mainly carp, commons and mirrors, in five hours fishing. I finished in ninth with 65lb, (the winner had a new pb of 207lb!).QUOTE.

Must have been solid.....
Which bait and method did you use ?
65lb is a great weight for a match virgin...

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Peter,

I believe the expression is 5'0 of fish in 4'0 of water:)

The top weights fished top two pole sections in the margins, most stayed with the maggots provided as bait, i started on maggot and changed to breadflake to hopefully attract larger fish. I have inherited a pole but I'm more comfortable fishing a waggler which I did.

If I was thinking of fishing more matches, I would have to learn how to fish with a pole due to the greater accuracy of bait placement. On commercials like this, i suspect it would take an exceptional "rod" angler to beat someone fishing the pole.

Still, all good experience and a new perspective.

Ian