River bankwalking pre- season

flightliner

Reaction score
Anyone walked the banks of a river they intend to fish lately.
Yesterday I had a walk along the banks of the river idle above Bawtry on the Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire border . I did this before the sun went low as its easier to spot fish. During my couple of hours walking I saw plenty of nice chub and the odd Barbel drifting in and out of the profuse streamer weed and many responded well to my free offerings of bread flake and trout pellets.
The Idle used to be famous for its roach with many an angler in the region used to enjoy but yesterday I only saw one or two small ones, but, you never know.:)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a walk along the banks of the river idle above Bawtry on the Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire border . I did this before the sun went low as its easier to spot fish. During my couple of hours walking I saw plenty of nice chub and the odd Barbel drifting in and out of the profuse streamer weed and many responded well to my free offerings of bread flake and trout pellets.
The Idle used to be famous for its roach with many an angler in the region used to enjoy but yesterday I only saw one or two small ones, but, you never know.:)

You are not prebaiting then ?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am going down to have a look at the new stretch of the ribble that our club (S&DAA) has just acquired. Its on the confluence of the river Darwen so I am hoping to find some decent fish knocking about where the waters meet, well, that's if the water is clear enough!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Spent a fair time walking, working on one, of the four rivers I mainly fish. I probably wont be fishing any in earnest until September but I like to keep in touch even though I pretty much know the topography (apart from the weir pools which can obviously change regularly).
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
one of the best practices is to observe fish and find out what makes them tick........
carpandchubpics011.jpg

balalur

Reaction score
one of the best practices is to observe fish and find out what makes them tick........
carpandchubpics011.jpg

chav professor can I say that you are absolutely blessed with such a river?!So many good fish that you can actually see and study is something that I can only dream of!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In many ways I am lucky to have my favourite river right on my doorstep, or actually across the road.

I walk the local stretches almost every weekend when I'm home, and the stretches below Salisbury I walk across almost as regularly, and the 'season' makes no difference either.

'Season' as in Close' or 'Open'

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner
The Idle used to be famous for its roach with many an angler in the region used to enjoy but yesterday I only saw one or two small ones, but, you never know.

You are not prebaiting then ?

No, not really, the freebies on the recc'e are just to see the general reaction to whatever I fancy presenting to them, the pellets and flake are handy in so much as they are dry and easy to carry around.
If the water was deeper I may prebait but in only two foot of gin clear water and relatively low fish densities with them having their own holding areas I tend to think that its a roaming scenario that would prove best.
Interestingly while there It seemed that there as been a bit of a pike explosion as I saw more on that visit than I thought the stretch could be sustained from-- every few thirty yards or so, nice to see and watch but not what I expected

maceo

Reaction score
Had a walk with the kids this afternoon along the banks of the beautiful upper Thames and what a change from the last time I saw it.

In March the grass in the field was chewed level by the cows, but now it's knee high and absolutely jumping with bugs and insects. Hard to believe they had a marquee hosting a wedding reception in that field last summer. I wonder whether the farmer will be along to mow it before the season starts.

The trees that were bare of leaves are now covered in green and even the dried mud of "my" swim has disappeared below the undergrowth. A good part of the far bank has got a fair fringe of bright yellow oil seed rape plants that have obviously run wild from other fields.

The biggest part of the rod busting hawthorn tree next to the swim is in full bloom, although the part overhanging the near bank is obviously completely dead.

The river's looking nice and full and flowing steadily, but the dreaded boats are back and moored up by the road bridge.

All in all it's looking lovely and I can't wait to get back down there, although I'm wondering how much tackle I'm going to lose in all that foliage and long reeds and grasses.

Only three weeks to go now.

Come on, pass quickly!

watatoad

Reaction score
I am always looking at the rivers and even the lakes its like a magnet to me.