Canal fishing....

Andyw

Reaction score
As most of my fishing is done on the local canal I find most of the available information. whether it be online, books or magazines (and I read several, including weekly's), is severely lacking .

Most feature articles has whichever celebrity angler on some well known commercial or river. Is canal fishing "uncool"? Is it out of fashion? When there is a feature it tends to really only offer advice for the pole.

As a non pole user, I try to use the stillwater advice and tailor it to where i fish, although as a novice its sometimes very much "hit and hope". Granted there is alot that crosses most fishing venues but I wonder why so little is paid to these excellent resources.

I challenge Matt Hayes or any other celeb to come and show me the way on my little bit of the Grand Union!!!

Reaction score
Bit surprised at this Andy. In past days I used to get the match Angling and Pole fishing titles produced by DHP. (Match Anglng Today and Advanced Pole Fishing I think). They had regular features on canals quite often visiting the Grand Union. May be worth contacting them regarding back issues. Mind you grand Union is a bit long...which is your local stretch?

And for non-pole users I'm sure there have been a couple of features on canal carping and piking in IYCF and TCF.

There seems to have been features on most canals at some time - although I cannot remember any on either the Macclesfield or Peak Forest cuts. (Local hint to features editors)

P

peter webber

I don't know if you have a 'poundland' shop near you but if you do take a look at the dvd's. I got a copy of '****ie Carr fishing on canals. Float and bomb' from them for £1.

It's got to be better then nothing and who knows it might judt be what you want to know.

Pete

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Peter just beat me to it!!!

Have you thought about whip fishing on the canal,using bread punch for bait???

Ian heaps did a very good instructional video using this method.

D

david bruce 1

Benny Ashursts book Match Fishing isinteresting to look at , mainly canal fishing in his era. How about chopping up worms letting the ends heel over and using them as mini worms one of his techniques.

Local library should be able to get you a copy.