Spare Spools

Reaction score
How many spools do you like to have per real?

I just bought a new Stradic 3000 and it only came with two spools. For £100 I was expecting three and need another at £20

I also bought a Shakey Mach 3 for £55 and it came with 4 spools

sam vimes

Reaction score
There aren't too many of the Shimano reels that come with three spools these days. The few that do are generally a fair bit more expensive than the Stradic. Some of that extra expense is offset a little when you realise that the all metal spools for the more expensive (front drag) Shimanos cost around thirty to forty pounds! Don't buy a Shimano D Baitrunner, you'll get really upset when you find it only comes with one spool and the spares cost forty quid.:eek:

The rear drag Stradics aren't quite as bad at £20-25. Stradic GTM-RC [rd13148/1316] - ?19.99 : Fishing Spares, fishingspares.co.uk

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I bought my 4000D baitrunner it came with just the one spool and extra spools are £38 pounds each, but they are top Quality and double anodized which adds to the cost.
I tend to never fill the spare spools as I have a good selection of reels and very rarely need to change spools on a session.
As a matter of interest, what is the quality of the shaky spools like? not very good I suspect!

balalur

Reaction score
I usually have two spools per reel-one with heavier,sinking line and one with a low diameter floating one.This way I'm covered for all my needs.
Off-topic a little bit I think the prices of some spare spools are unbelievable...No way their price is dictated by manufacturing costs...

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I prefer 3 spools with my reels, 2 for holding line and 1 for when i want to load new line and need to add backing to it, i can then wind it off on to the spool i want to add it to.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer 3 spools with my reels, 2 for holding line and 1 for when i want to load new line and need to add backing to it, i can then wind it off on to the spool i want to add it to.[/QUOTE

Good idea that Steph, I personally never bother with backing as I buy 500-600yard spools and can fill 2 large reel spools from one and find it more economical than buying 100yard (meter) spools.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So how do you mark your spool with it's contents?

I have a different reel for each breaking strain, for example I have 6lb on my Shimano XT mini baitrunner and 10lb on my 4000D baitrunner then I have 4lb on my Daiwa TDR match and 6lb on my TDR feeder reel. my front drag Shimano Stradic and Techniums are loaded with power pro braid for lure fishing. I have a few other Shimano and Daiwa reels that I keep as spares.

watatoad

Reaction score
So how do you mark your spool with it's contents?

I have 2 ways which I use on all my reels fixed spool and centrepin even on my fly reels my multipliers are kept in reel covers and I write the line size on the reel cover and use different colour reel covers.

1: From way back in the 1960's I simply scratched the breaking strain using a dressmaking pin, on the part of the spool which is hidden from view when the spool is on the reel - I would call it the back or base.

2: Little stick on labels the self sticking ones again on the same part of the spool - I use a waterproof ink to write with.

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

How many spools do you like to have per real?

I just bought a new Stradic 3000 and it only came with two spools. For £100 I was expecting three and need another at £20

I also bought a Shakey Mach 3 for £55 and it came with 4 spools

I have 4 spare spools for each of my reels.

terry m

Reaction score
Two spools usually suffices for me. The commentt about price v manufacturing cost is a good one, the price of some spare spools is simply outrageous!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Two spools usually suffices for me. The commentt about price v manufacturing cost is a good one, the price of some spare spools is simply outrageous!

Hi Terry,
The reason some of the spools are expensive is because of the way they are manufactured, The big guns like Shimano and Daiwa use Double Anodized, Cold Forged spools on their top of the range reels which is a time consuming and expensive process but the resulting product will be far superior to the run of the mill stuff and they will last much much longer.
I have a Shimano 4000D baitrunner that I bought for barbel fishing, yes, it was expensive and the spools are expensive but this range of reels was designed originally for salt water sport fishing so they have to be tough! The reason I bought the 4000D was for the above reason as I know it will outlast a lot of other reels out there. The old adage of ''you get what you pay for'' does still stand (well on some items anyway :)) and I don't regret buying the reel as I know I will not have to buy another for a while. :D

Last edited:

watatoad

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
The reason some of the spools are expensive is because of the way they are manufactured, The big guns like Shimano and Daiwa use Double Anodized, Cold Forged spools on their top of the range reels which is a time consuming and expensive process but the resulting product will be far superior to the run of the mill stuff and they will last much much longer.
I have a Shimano 4000D baitrunner that I bought for barbel fishing, yes, it was expensive and the spools are expensive but this range of reels was designed originally for salt water sport fishing so they have to be tough! The reason I bought the 4000D was for the above reason as I know it will outlast a lot of other reels out there. The old adage of ''you get what you pay for'' does still stand (well on some items anyway :)) and I don't regret buying the reel as I know I will not have to buy another for a while. :D

I cannot help but wonder if they will really last as long as you hope I still have Mitchell 308's I have few 1958 models and some 440's dating back to 1968 and they are as good as the day I bought them. The Mitchell 308 has for a long while been considered the most perfect fishing reel by many an experienced angler although a good few decry the Mitchell reels. For myself I cannot fault my 308's in over 50 years.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I cannot help but wonder if they will really last as long as you hope I still have Mitchell 308's I have few 1958 models and some 440's dating back to 1968 and they are as good as the day I bought them. The Mitchell 308 has for a long while been considered the most perfect fishing reel by many an experienced angler although a good few decry the Mitchell reels. For myself I cannot fault my 308's in over 50 years.

People that praise Mitchell reels are people that are unwilling to change! Today, even the cheaper reels from the big two far outshine those out of date Dinosaurs, they might have been good in their day but that's because there was nothing else to choose from, well, apart from the ABU Cardinal, which by the way was superior to the Mitchell! Technology has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 50 years so why live in the past? I take it you have never tried a Japanese Shimano Front Drag Stradic or the superlative Daiwa TDR? (said by some to be the best match reel ever made!)
Anyway, this was supposed to be a thread about spare spools, so can we get away from this silly Mitchell thing once and for all ;)

watatoad

Reaction score
People that praise Mitchell reels are people that are unwilling to change! Today, even the cheaper reels from the big two far outshine those out of date Dinosaurs, they might have been good in their day but that's because there was nothing else to choose from, well, apart from the ABU Cardinal, which by the way was superior to the Mitchell! Technology has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 50 years so why live in the past? I take it you have never tried a Japanese Shimano Front Drag Stradic or the superlative Daiwa TDR? (said by some to be the best match reel ever made!)
Anyway, this was supposed to be a thread about spare spools, so can we get away from this silly Mitchell thing once and for all ;)

Sure just remember who went off topic first and I have tried a lot of Japanese reels and rejected them for being of poor and inferior quality as have many people I know.

maceo

Reaction score
For the two main reels I use (one for float fishing, one for feeder) I have three and two spools respectively which is about right I think. I label them inside with little bits of sticky label showing the breaking strain.

I see that dragon Carp is offering a 10-10 Carprunner reel that comes with 10 (count 'em!) spools! The ideal reel for that 10 tip quiver rod they sell.

It costs £25 quid so that means £2 a spool and a fiver left over for the reel itself. The reel apparently has 10 ball bearings too, so make that 10p a bearing and £4 for the reel body....

I do think that although the spools are obviously good quality on the big name reels such as Shimano etc, £40 is a bit much to charge for a spare and it's quite naughty to sell them with just one spool in some cases.

I bet there's a massive margin they're making on that £40.

bankside

Reaction score
[QUOTE
As a matter of interest, what is the quality of the shaky spools like? not very good I suspect![/QUOTE]

I believe the Shaky spare spools are all metal,so can't be too bad.

I mark the breaking strain inside the spool using a Tippex 'shake n squeeze pen,dead easy and a bitch to get off too!!:p

watatoad

Reaction score
[QUOTE
As a matter of interest, what is the quality of the shaky spools like? not very good I suspect!

I believe the Shaky spare spools are all metal,so can't be too bad.

I mark the breaking strain inside the spool using a Tippex 'shake n squeeze pen,dead easy and a bitch to get off too!!:p[/QUOTE]

Crucian Clive and I tested Shakespeare Mach 3 reels and the xt version over a couple of years and thought them to be excellent and very good value with one of the smoothest clutches about. Especially so on the front drag Clive is more sensitive than I am to bling and hated the glittery finish but loved the reel me, when I don't want glitter I just remove the glitter or spray it out as I don't care what my tackle looks like just so long as it works as I want it to. Sure you can spend a fortune on a great looking reel and then spend another fortune on spare spools.

Take 1000 anglers and you will probably get 999 different opinions in the end nobody is right and nobody is wrong as we are all individuals and we all fish a little differently and usually on many different waters while after all sorts of species in different ways.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sure just remember who went off topic first and I have tried a lot of Japanese reels and rejected them for being of poor and inferior quality as have many people I know.

Can't remember going off topic sir, do please remind me!
I do not know of any Japanese products that are inferior including Shimano or Daiwa, try saying that to the thousands of Toyota owners (including my mum) in this country!

watatoad

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%932011_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

Like I said everyone is entitled to a personal opinion, you have yours and I have mine.

I choose to judge my equipment by personal experience rather than advertising or cult following.

---------- Post added at 08:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 ----------

Now I call that a pure off topic attack that has nothing to do with this thread on spools A blatantly obvious and clear response of someone who considers their tackle or equipment perfect and therefore their choice beyond reproach or question. Rather like some minority parties politicians attitude to freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of the individuals rights of choice. Providing and just so long as nobody dares to disagree with them and what they say and think.

Last edited: