spawning chub

chav professor

Reaction score
I think this has to be the spectacle of the year. It was a privilege being by the river at such a special time...... It is sights like this that make me feel fulfilled and thankful that I was introduced to fish and fishing.

spawningchub019.jpg

water is such a beautiful canvas..........

balalur

Reaction score
That sight must of been absolutely breath taking! As I said before you are truly blessed!
I have spent many days (weeks actually) fishing my local river last season and never had the chance to see the chub-only a few chubblets on a couple of occasions...They are there,I know-I caught two of them in 9 months fishing 2-3 times a week!:eek:mg: But there are so few and far between...
This afternoon I'm going over to have a stroll along the banks-maybe I get lucky!:)

chav professor

Reaction score
(just PM'ed you..lol)

Didn't take the temperature - but will do tomorrow! I have been down the river most days watching and finding chub and come across some very big surprises along the way. I have been trying to record fish so I can identify them if they come out - the river is so clear, some chub have very obvious markings that should enable good recognition.

Might sound might ridiculous, but they do seem to have very distinct personalities.

It was a nice surprise to see them spawning and a bit unexpected really.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Christian, do you have any idea what the water temp is/were?

(nice pics by the way):)

Don't know if this helps but, took the water temperature of a lake on Thursday 24th. 64f. I expect a shallow river might be near the same. Shallow Running water might be cooler than a lake but, with the sun on it, might be near the same.
I am sure the Chav will give a better idea, great photo by the way Chav. I have seen dace and roach spawning in clear water like that and it is something to behold.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Whilst not the perfect shot, it kind of captures the drama that was taking place... I am holding back an absolute stunner of a pic...:D
spawningchub062.jpg

It is kind of tough taking pics with a zoom lens, no tripod, manual focus and manipulating a polarising filter to maximum effect lol!

waggy

Reaction score
Beautiful pix, Chav. Did you see them 'cleaning' themselves afterwards?