Mail order worms

sagalout

Reaction score
Do you buy worms via mail order/ebay/whatever?

If so how do you store what you ain't used on the day? How long do they keep?

I only have a courtyard type garden so do not have composting facilities so I thought I might go the mail order route and if I find tha I am using a lot of worms I will think about a wormery.

balalur

Reaction score

sagalout

Reaction score
I don't think Mrs Lout will be best pleased to have worms in the fridge, and no I don't have a bait fridge or the space for one.

Thanks for the links although I have read them all in the past whilst thinking about a wormery, but as I say, I am going to experiment first and just wanted to know what others are doing.

I bought some from the tackle shop the other day but at £1.50 for about 10-20 worms I thought it was a bit steep, so I have just ordered 250-300 from a well known auction site for £7 delivered.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I buy all my worms online-if you look after them with damp moss or shredded newspaper they last for ages, give them a bit of mashed spud..without salt now and again.
Store them in a cool place, on the concrete garage floor seems good, don't leave the lids off, and the advice is don't put them in the fridge

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I leave them in the lidded plastic bucket they arrive in, so anything like old boilie pots or, plastic paint pots with a few small holes in the lid should do.
Also those smallish garden waste buckets with twist off lids work.

sagalout

Reaction score
I paid £4.50 + £2.50 P&P for 250 grams. Delivered fresh and lively the next day.

skullsat

Reaction score
I buy a kilo of worms at the beginning of each year and they last till the next year,and at around £20 kilo they're cheap bait,just give them somewhere nice to live plenty of greens etc and plenty smash(bulks them up),if they're content they'll breed and i put the small 1's in a separate bucket,only use the larger worms and they're my main bait.better still my son's got an allotment so keeps a compost heap so always available.

p.s i keep mine on my balcony

dave11

Reaction score
Seriously breed your own. If you buy a large tub stick it in a wormery...Look on u-tube ...dead easy and cheap to make. I know it depends on if you can have the space etc . Remember though the best bait i have found in the winter is chopped worm. i can chop up 20 in one hit. build it through the summer and just take some hookbaits out but 100 worms chopped up in groundbait is a killer for Bream ...