£20 Blue pop-up tent or £300 green bivvy?

bub81

Reaction score
Planning on night fishing on a local small carp pond to do some magical starlight-float fishing late into the night and again at dawn.

I would only put ledgers out over night if the fishing hasn't been good.

I have carp/rodpod night-fished about 4 times in my life. With a friend, using a £50 dark green double skin tent. It was fine, just took a while to put up even with two of us.

The swims on this 1 acre lake are mostly, very tight and so today I bought a £20, two man, pop-up blue tent (I'm of the opinion colour doesn't matter, it's movement that spooks fish). Anyway, sets up is instant and it has a nice wide side-opening, has four guide ropes, integral groundsheet etc. Being a two man tent it is perfect for one fishing, and I recon I can put a makeshift bedchair (two fishing chairs, one a nicely padded Fox) in there. Plus it should fit in the tightest of pegs.

So why are Bivvies so popular when they are hundreds of pounds? Are they so much warmer than even my two-skin tent and if so how many fisherman buy them to only use in summer?!

What am I missing?

sagalout

Reaction score
Some waters only allow "tents" specifically made for fishing.

Here is a rule from a club rule book

"No camping tents, fires or barbecues permitted without authority of the Committee. Angling shelters are to be specifically designed for angling and to be of a colour to blend in with surroundings"

bub81

Reaction score
Ahh, ok. That's fair enough, I probably wouldn't want to stare at bright coloured tents around a scenic lake either, I suppose.

The club I'm in doesn't have such a rule, but it is an important consideration, of course.

With this (dull blue) tent being instant setup and one minute pack-up, regarding blending in, I can just wait until dark and fold away early dawn. Everything is grey or black then!

As for "specifically designed for fishing", as long as it's doesn't say " 'exclusively' designed for fishing" you could make a case for many small tents having been designed specifically with fishing in mind. This one is more practical for fishing than any bivvy!

Reaction score
Got to say bub I went for a 2 person tent from Millets (after taking advice from Mr. Maidment!) that was reduced. Since I do a 2+ nighter once or twice a year...the bivvie option made no real financial sense...unless I picked up a second hand bargain!! Quite happy with the tent - especially when I worked out how to put it up!!

xenon

Reaction score
Really don't see what the problem is that some clubs have with tents. They take up about the same room, can be a suitable green colour-so what is the real difference, beyond the nomenclature beloved of jobsworth's the world over?

terry m

Reaction score
Horses for courses, if you are happy with a tent then that is cool.

For anglers that do lots of overnighters, and perhaps longer sessions then a bivvy makes just as much sense to those anglers.

As with most things in life you pay your money and take your choice.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I reckon it`s probably a fashion/marketing thing, you know, you can`t be a proper carper if you don`t have a bivvey. Went on my first all-nighter a few weeks back when the weather was still pretty chilly (although we were after eels not carp). My mate took his storm shield brolly and we just sat behind that. Wrapped up warm and the only time either of us felt the cold was when we came out to mess about with the rods. I guess it`s different if you`re planning on getting a bit of sleep but as we stayed up all night the brolly was fine.

Out of curiosity where did you get the pop-up tent from? Sounds a real bargain.

flightliner

Reaction score
I would ask the question of why do you need a bivvy, in the warmer months all I use if/when staying out on an overnighter is a brolly.
Not being critical by the way, just the thing I,ve done for years. Bivvys are so restrictive on many waters and on many its mobility that puts many a fish on the banks before others do.
I do take your point about the choice however, if its only an occasional thing theres not much point in spending a lot when ,as in your case, £20 does it .

terry m

Reaction score
I fished overnighters throughout the 70's under a brolly, it can be done, I am living proof.

But if you are doing long sessions where there is only an outside chance of a run, let alone a fish, then why would you not make yourself as comfortable as possible?

It's nothing to do with being a 'Proper Carper' or clever marketing, it is simple supply and demand. Market forces are rarely wrong.

watatoad

Reaction score
I have slept out, camped and fished all over the world since 1953 and for my two pennyworth you cant beat a tent. A bivvy is fine as a wrap around shelter for long sessions when you are fishing out of it, or to use for a nap. Most people although equipped with bivvys do go home at dusk and the reason I am convinced is that they feel nervous and exposed in a bivvy, yet less so in a tent.

Some wild creatures will be attracted by the smell of food and it is poor camp/session hygiene and carelessness with food and bait that can and does cause a problem.

Please remember I do not use bite alarms so when I am fishing I am next to my rod or holding it. Nor do I set up night lines (I think they are illegal) so I use the term to denote those anglers who use bite alarms and go to sleep, see night lines, not angling. The desperation to catch gets some very hard. However if one was to use bite alarms as one sleeps then a bivvy is the much quicker to get out of than a tent.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most people although equipped with bivvys do go home at dusk and the reason I am convinced is that they feel nervous and exposed in a bivvy, yet less so in a tent.

What on earth are you on about?:confused::confused::confused:
I can only wonder if you have your own personal idea of what a "bivvy" is.
There aren't too many anglers that go to the trouble of taking (lugging:eek::D) and erecting a proper bivvy only to leave at dusk. Sure you aren't thinking of open fronted shelters?

terry m

Reaction score
Agreed Sam.

Who would carry a bivvy around, take the time to set it up and then go home at dusk?

Watatoad, not sure I understand your point, are you saying that fishing with bite alarms whilst sleeping is the same as setting illegal night lines?

watatoad

Reaction score
What on earth are you on about?:confused::confused::confused:
I can only wonder if you have your own personal idea of what a "bivvy" is.
There aren't too many anglers that go to the trouble of taking (lugging:eek::D) and erecting a proper bivvy only to leave at dusk. Sure you aren't thinking of open fronted shelters?

You would be surprised at how many I have seen over the years that do carry a heavy bivvy and end up going home. At the river as well as the lake and I do know the difference as I have two open day shelters which I love especially the £10.00 one from Dragon Carp its so light and at the price I will not cry when I break or damage it, sure its not going to last and its not too tough but it works well for me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You would be surprised at how many I have seen over the years that do carry a heavy bivvy and end up going home. At the river as well as the lake and I do know the difference as I have two open day shelters which I love especially the £10.00 one from Dragon Carp its so light and at the price I will not cry when I break or damage it, sure its not going to last and its not too tough but it works well for me.

OK, so please explain to me why anyone would feel more vulnerable in a bivvy than they would in a tent? I've kipped in a lot of different tents in some strange situations over the years. If it weren't for the practicalities of lugging the thing, I'd have felt much less vulnerable in the bivvy I've got. Unlike most tents that are built for portability, bivvies are usually much more substantial. Some are a bit too substantial, which is why a few too many carpers stay put when they really should be moving as conditions dictate.

cg74

Reaction score

I would be very surprised if the number exceeded even ten, no five. Though I confess I've done it once but in my defence the Thames rose by 3ft in 6hrs and fancy being washed away during the night.
I have seen one other angler set up a bivvy, only to pack it up and leave before dusk but his missus went into labour, though damned inconsiderate of her, it wasn't exactly his plan....

bub81

Reaction score
Hi Neil, You asked where I got it from? A sale at sportsdirect. If you cant handle going inside one, here is a link, but obviously that adds P&P:

Campri Pop Up Tent 2012 - SportsDirect.com

Make sure you click green. I wont bore you with the details of how I ended up with a blue one instead of the plain green one, and had to tape over the daft logo on the blue!

Anyway, I should say the quality is low, so I reckon I will end up with more glue and tape than actual tent, but it should live through five or six sessions at least. Hopefully many more. Having said that the ground sheet is thick and semi-solid, so probably gives great heat insulation. The design is superb, 5 second setup plus pegging, one minute pack away and a very good size for one plus tackle. The door can just be velcro'd shut, too. So ok for a quick exit.

VERY light, too. When packed away, it is a large, thin disc with handles.

Enjoyed the posts. Not sure about brollies if the mozzies are out, though! Need a door. Also dont want to wake up to a badger snarling at me, at 3am. Started in 1953 and still night fishing? Respect to you, sir!

Last edited:

watatoad

Reaction score
OK, so please explain to me why anyone would feel more vulnerable in a bivvy than they would in a tent? I've kipped in a lot of different tents in some strange situations over the years. If it weren't for the practicalities of lugging the thing, I'd have felt much less vulnerable in the bivvy I've got. Unlike most tents that are built for portability, bivvies are usually much more substantial. Some are a bit too substantial, which is why a few too many carpers stay put when they really should be moving as conditions dictate.

I have nothing more than an idea which may answer your question, some people like the idea of camping and they get a tent and become campers, straightforward enough. Some anglers fish overnight others who perhaps fish for the same species but have not really considered fishing overnight get caught up in the idea of all the equipment but they are far more interested in the idea of great catches and specimen sized fish rather than the actual idea of camping and spending a night alone in the countryside, then when it starts getting dark and they hear all the night noises beginning they suddenly do not feel quite so confident about being alone in the countryside at night. So they make an excuse to themselves of just remembering something and pack up and head home. I have no doubt that if they had been campers or at least been camping they would feel easier about it.

Various threads have been raised on nigh-time nerves and fears on many forums which gives more than a little support to my idea of their reasons for not staying and perhaps they try a few times and still feel uncomfortable. I neither blame them nor decry them for until you have spent a few nights out alone anyone can get a little nervous is natural. I would not be surprised to discover that more anglers own bivvies and have never used them than some people would first think.

You see it is not the strength or the solidity of the bivvy to the tent but a different mindset in the two types of people who choose each of these two options. One wants to spend a night out under the stars away from civilisation the other just wants to catch great fish.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

I would be very surprised if the number exceeded even ten, no five. Though I confess I've done it once but in my defence the Thames rose by 3ft in 6hrs and fancy being washed away during the night.
I have seen one other angler set up a bivvy, only to pack it up and leave before dusk but his missus went into labour, though damned inconsiderate of her, it wasn't exactly his plan....

I fish about five times a week all over the place so perhaps I have just seen a few more than you over the years, Although my multiple sclerosis prevents my from moving far at a time or roving the bankside. I do manage to get taken to a lot of different venues and have been taken off to a good few lakes where I have seen it happen, as to how many times I cant say I have ever made a note of it.

You have no need to explain nor excuse your actions to me but just suppose some other angler saw the two occasions you mentioned that angler may only have seen a few bivvy up overnight so he or she may like me have thought some of them bring their bivvies and yet still go home. Should it be the case that our imaginary angler does not normally stay until dark he or she might assume that lots of anglers don't stay overnight even when they have all the gear, it would be a logical assumption. Then there are all the other times when someone intends to stay overnight but the fish are not biting so he or she decides to go home, next we have the I'll take my bivvy just in case I decide to stay overnight angler. The reasons and the numbers increase.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Enjoyed the posts. Not sure about brollies if the mozzies are out, though! Need a door. Also dont want to wake up to a badger snarling at me, at 3am. Started in 1953 and still night fishing? Respect to you, sir!

Many thank for the respect I also still go wild camping. ...hehehe... often without a tent I just cant walk very far without a rest nor carry a lot of weight.

Biggest and to my mind most common noisy creature at night on the ground is the hedgehogs and they seem so keen on maggots and worms. The noise they make unless you know what it is, could get the old imagination going and I have seen a good few go pale at the sounds those little flea covered blighters make. I use jungle formula repellant, though I still get a good few bites maybe I don't put enough on.

Last edited:

bub81

Reaction score
Watatoad, I suspect your logic is spot on. It may be no coincidence that I enjoyed camping from a very young age and am not interested in a bivvy.

As someone else simply summed up, people buy what they want, end-of. True of course, but I think you are right, people who are a little insecure about the outdoors will prefer something that looks like a modern bombshelter. Also, I subscribe to marketing having sucked in another group, as well as fishing fashion.

Of course, for those few who still fish in terrible weather, needing to do everything inside the tent, and want to get 200+ uses out of their shelter, a bivvy is spot on.

Sorry to hear you are a little limited by health. I can relate, but perhaps not to that extent. Good luck.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I've spent many a happy night on Scottish lochs under a brolly with heavy duty polythene sheeting over the top, sometimes awakening to find a covering of several inches of snow. 'Bedchair' was a lightweight sun lounger. Apart from the lounger which would collapse, several times a night, I never had a problem.

But hey, what self respecting carper would spend £20 when they can shell out £300 ;)